Windows 10 RDP issue - The logon attempt failed

Chenlo

Hello all, this is my first post in the forum, New member here...
I upgraded to win10 recently and RDP keeps giving me error above... I have tried with both accounts I have and I can't rdp in. Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? I've been trying for a few days already and everything seems to be setup OK...

This is a workgroup PC not on a domain and it used to work fine when I was in WIN7...I also notice that my public share also prompts me for a user and password and I get the same error ... as above ...

Things I have tried:
-Verified RDP is enabled and allowed on settings and firewall
-RDP port -- Open
-Firewall down tests
-Removed AV
-I'm able to ping IP
-login using computername\accountname

I hope someone has the answer to this one so I can stop scratching my head :scratch:

Thank You All

What OS are you trying to connect from and also under System > Remote Settings do you have Network Level Authentication unchecked?

What OS are you trying to connect from and also under System > Remote Settings do you have Network Level Authentication unchecked?
Hey Thanks quick reply,
I'm connecting from win7 ... NLA is unchecked ...

On both computers under control panel > Network and Sharing are you on a Private Network or does it say Public. Because it won't work on Public

Well I just popped up a WinXP VM and Win 10 VM and I was able to RDP from XP to 10. The only changes I made were on the Win 10 box. Enabled Allow Remote Desktop, set the network type to Private and Allowed RDP through the firewall.

You may want to switch Win 7 to Private you can switch it from an elevated powershell prompt with Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategpry Private

Well I just popped up a WinXP VM and Win 10 VM and I was able to RDP from XP to 10. The only changes I made were on the Win 10 box. Enabled Allow Remote Desktop, set the network type to Private and Allowed RDP through the firewall.
Yeah, that's why this is driving me crazy....I have all those settings correct...

No idea why It's not working ...

I also set up a Win 7 box and RDP'd to the Win 10 box. Turning the firewall off on Win 7 worked or you can leave the firewall on and allow RDP through and it works as well.

You may want to switch Win 7 to Private you can switch it from an elevated powershell prompt with Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategpry Private
Set-NetConnectionProfile -NetworkCategory Private

The term 'Set-NetConnectionProfile' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable progr
am. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:25
+ Set-NetConnectionProfile <<<< -NetworkCategpry Private
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Set-NetConnectionProfile:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

I believe you would need to install either Powershell 3 or 4 on Windows 7 to get that command. I actually just ended up up leaving the network Public on Windows 7 and enabled RDP through public

You can get that error if the connection is blocked. Might want to install wireshark and filter for tcp.port == 3389 and see what you get.

You did turn it on?
Screenshot (1).png

-I'm able to ping IP
so you can ping the wx computer name... not just it's ip address?

if you can ping the computer name and it replies then it most likly is your w7 username / password that is getting blocked but at this point I want some screen shots of the errors you get so we can see the issue please

Back
Top Bottom