Windows 7 Realtek HD Audio System Not Fully Functional

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
After a reinstall of Windows 7 I got this confusing onboard sound system working after a struggle, but it is no longer able to record streaming audio as it did before; there appears to be no stereo mixer/what-you-hear etc.

Windows insists the drivers are up-to-date. During several attempts to get it working, I found at least two different configurations: The first offered a confusing number of line-in and line-out options, the second configuration was a straightforward Line-In/Line-Out/Mic setup - but no stereo mixer.

Any advice anyone? Or should I buy a separate soundcard and disable the confusing Realtek device?

Personally I would stick with the RealTek device for now but I would not rely on Windows to determine if my driver was up to date. I would go here and download the latest driver from Realtek Realtek
and see if that provided the missing interface components that you are looking for.
Regards
Randy

Use the speaker icon to open the recording device dialog. See if Stereo Mix is already listed, and if it is, enable it. If it is not, right click and select "show disabled devices" and then enable.

Use the speaker icon to open the recording device dialog. See if Stereo Mix is already listed, and if it is, enable it. If it is not, right click and select "show disabled devices" and then enable.

Not available. I have 3 Mics 1 S/PDIF and a Line-in. No sign of disabled devices. Only Properties is clickable.

Personally I would stick with the RealTek device for now but I would not rely on Windows to determine if my driver was up to date. I would go here and download the latest driver from Realtek Realtek
and see if that provided the missing interface components that you are looking for.
Regards
Randy

Thanks. That link is broken, but I got there.

I'll let you know how I get on with these drivers.

I haven't loaded any special drivers for my system, but I do have the Realtek ones. Check the attachment, the item you want may be off the window on the bottom.

Attachments

• Sound.GIF
    Sound.GIF
    39.1 KB · Views: 481
I haven't loaded any special drivers for my system, but I do have the Realtek ones. Check the attachment, the item you want may be off the window on the bottom.

I wish that were the case. I've attached a .JPG of my Record box.

What I have configured is a simple system with Line-in, Line-out and Mic. Before the reinstall there were many more inputs & outputs (too many !) as well as Stereo-mix.

As far as dealing with external and system sounds, that's fine, but I need the stereo mixer/what-you-hear too.

I'm about to run the downloaded file.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 464
I wish that were the case. I've attached a .JPG of my Record box.

What I have configured is a simple system with Line-in, Line-out and Mic. Before the reinstall there were many more inputs & outputs (too many !) as well as Stereo-mix.

As far as dealing with external and system sounds, that's fine, but I need the stereo mixer/what-you-hear too.

I'm about to run the downloaded file.

The downloaded utility is exactly the same as the one on the CD which came with the computer.

I still have the same minimal system, but with one microphone input less !

Annoying thing is, the local company who set up the computer initially put the wrong sound
drivers in, so I had to root around on the CD looking for the correct ones. I have forgotten
now exactly how I did it. The correct drivers are on that CD, but how to get the wizard to
install the correct ones is the problem.

Easier by far to fit another card. I have a USB soundcard, but it's fairly basic and will no doubt
lack a stereo mixer. Off to Amazon to see what they have.

The downloaded utility is exactly the same as the one on the CD which came with the computer.

I still have the same minimal system, but with one microphone input less !

Annoying thing is, the local company who set up the computer initially put the wrong sound
drivers in, so I had to root around on the CD looking for the correct ones. I have forgotten
now exactly how I did it. The correct drivers are on that CD, but how to get the wizard to
install the correct ones is the problem.

Easier by far to fit another card. I have a USB soundcard, but it's fairly basic and will no doubt
lack a stereo mixer. Off to Amazon to see what they have.

Tried again after reading the readme file on the CD. You have to run the install, reboot and then run the install again. So readme files have some use after all !

However, after rebooting Windows jumps in and installs a set of drivers which it must have stashed away somewhere - the wrong ones ...

I uninstalled all the driver files via Device Manager then point Windows in the right direction for the drivers.

It worked !

Many thanks to all who responded.

Well, it seems a little strange that something which should be fairly normal isn't working. So I have attached another picture to show the settings to uncover the Stereo Mix, which you have already tried.

Other than that, you do show a Realtek Audio controller in the Control Panel?

And the only other this is the Digital Input you are showing. Just wondering if it might be like HDMI where certain types of recording are not allowed.. Maybe disconnect that to see if anything changes..

Attachments

• Audio_2.gif
    Audio_2.gif
    36.6 KB · Views: 415
Well, it seems a little strange that something which should be fairly normal isn't working. So I have attached another picture to show the settings to uncover the Stereo Mix, which you have already tried.

Other than that, you do show a Realtek Audio controller in the Control Panel?

And the only other this is the Digital Input you are showing. Just wondering if it might be like HDMI where certain types of recording are not allowed.. Maybe disconnect that to see if anything changes..

You must have missed my last post. It's working now - it was a driver problem: between the wizard uninstalling the drivers (restarting) and running the wizard again to put the new drivers in, Windows got in the way and started to install old drivers.

Taking out the drivers in Device manager solved the problem.

I couldn't find a way to mark this thread solved.

Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom