Windows 7 Refresh User Pinned Folder

dagbyte

I've been looking around and can't seem to get a straight answer for this...

I wrote a VB script that creates a shortcut in %\AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu and the shortcut works just fine from the folder in Explorer. However, it never gets pinned to the Start menu. It never shows up. If I right click on the item in the start menu and say "Pint to Start menu" that works fine.

Is there a trick or secret to refresh the Start menu after adding a shortcut manually? This is very frustrating.....

Question - I am using this to pin the 32-bit IE icon to the taskbar. It works great, with one exception- it puts the icon on the taskbar, but when I click on the icon, it opens a 2nd icon with the IE window and any subsequent windows I open. If I manually go into the folder and right clickon the EXE and say "pint to taskbar" it does so, but opens all windows in one icon.

Any idea why that would happen?

FWIW - it doesn't do it with Chrome....

I'll try.....

Attached are 3 pics of the IE icon after running the scrip, pointing to c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe and using /taskbar

Pic1 is the normal icon. looks good
pic1.png

Pic2 is what happens when I click on the icon. It opens IE in a new icon
pic2.png

Pic3 is what happens when I click on the original icon. Note the icon is layered.
pic3.png

This doesn't happen with Chrome. It puts one icon there and when I click on it, it minimizes Chrome. I checked the icon properties and all seems to be OK.

Any ideas? very frustrating....

Are you sure one isn't a 64bit IE pinned? Have you tried removing all pinned IEs and then using the script?

Yeah, I deleted all the pinned shortcuts... if I right click on the EXE and say pin to taskbar, it's fine...

Back