Windows 8 Removed everything and reinstalled windows, all apps are now bugged

Xtreme

Hey there, I'm currently having a problem with my store, gaming, music, video, finance, and all of the other built in Windows 8 tile apps. Problem is, they refuse to load and they look too bugged. Here is what the store app looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/6ZkKT0Y.jpg

The music and video apps (same screen):

http://imgur.com/5Xp5U7S.jpg

It's just really frustrating. This all happened after I did the "Remove everything and reinstall windows" thing. Do you guys have any idea on how to get things fixed?

Thanks.

Hi,
do a search for command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Copy and paste this command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Press enter and await results.

There can be a number of reasons for the apps to fail.
The Windows Firewall service needs to be set to automatic and running for Windows 8 Store Apps to work. It’s also required for a lot of other functionality in Windows 8 and so should not be turned off for any reason.

If you use a 3rd party Firewall product, then we recommend to configure Windows Firewall to not block any inbound or outbound traffic.

Finally, if all other steps fail, you can try clearing the Windows Store cache by running the following command (in a admin cmd prompt):

WSRESET.EXE

Hopefully, Kemical's suggestion solved the problem, but if not, could you tell us about your install?

Such as, had your upgraded to 8.1? Did you do the Reset from within Windows, or from an OEM utility? Did it Reset back to Windows 8 and does everything else work?

If you did not use the OEM utility, have you tried it by now?

Did the Reset put you back to an OOBE situation just as you would see on a new system to set it up?

@kemical, what do you mean by setting my firewall to automatic? All windows applications are allowed through the firewall.

Also, WSRESET.EXE takes me to the store, which doesn't load (see first post).

@Saltgrass, I did not upgrade to 8.1, I did the reset through CMD-i -> Change PC Settings -> General -> Remove everything and reinstall Windows. It did reset back to Windows 8, and I can use my computer, I can't use the windows 8 applications (most of them).

I did not try the OEM utility. And yes, the reset did put me in the OOBE situation just as I would see on a new system

I also don't want to reset my computer again, if possible.

I understand if you don't want to do another Reset. But just keep it in mind, the reason is I have seen some OEM Reset processes that are more complicated that a Windows 8 version and may use more than one image for the Reset.

In another thread, there was a suggestion about having all of the Windows Updates. Is your system back to normal in that respect? I don't really know how Appx works, but I think I remember seeing a update for it..

The only other thing I might consider is what kemical is suggesting and something might be blocking the access to the store.

This is what I got: http://i.imgur.com/61Klibu.jpg

Apps still don't work.

Xtreme,
I don't think you had given Dism time to do its job. If you had done a system file check ( sfc /scannow ), Dism takes just as long.
I would suggest that you go back and do the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth again, This time, notice that after Image version 6.2.9200.16384, there is a flashing prompt. That indicates DISM is running. Sit back and wait.
I am not saying DISM is your solution, but you did not give it a chance.

screenshot below is the result of mine. (note : I have different image version than yours. That is irrelevant.)

Image 1.png

Last edited:
Thanks David, I thought it looked odd but didn't think anymore about it. Good call!

Back