Windows 8 Removing hidden partition with Windows 8 on it...

sammytruck

My Acer-V5 laptop has a hidden partition with Windows 8 on it.

I ran Jelly-Bean Finder and got my 25 digit serial number. Could I get/download a copy of Windows 8, use MY serial number, and wipe the whole drive? Then install Windows 8, without any hidden partition?

I want to do all this.... so I can dual-boot with Linux, with the Legacy option in the bios.

Help would be grateful...... :)

The hidden partition, you may be referring to, contains the Windows 8 factory image. It should be around 10 GB in size and can be removed if you create a Recovery drive, it will give you the option to remove it. I would be certain I had the image somewhere safe before doing anything else.

I would also make sure I had a System Image Backup of my system in case something goes wrong.

Ubuntu 13.04 or later can be installed as UEFI if you wanted. It is also compatible with the Windows 8 secure Boot. Linux can also be installed as Legacy on a GPT configured drive if it was necessary. The Details of how to do this will be up to you.

The key you recovered, as far as I know, can only be used for installing the original Windows 8 that came on the system. It should not work with a downloaded version or purchased DVD, but I haven't actually tried it.

You should realize, if you remove the Recovery partition, you may loose any special recovery options the OEM supplied with the system.

The hidden partition, you may be referring to, contains the Windows 8 factory image. It should be around 10 GB in size and can be removed if you create a Recovery drive, it will give you the option to remove it. I would be certain I had the image somewhere safe before doing anything else.

I would also make sure I had a System Image Backup of my system in case something goes wrong.

Ubuntu 13.04 or later can be installed as UEFI if you wanted. It is also compatible with the Windows 8 secure Boot. Linux can also be installed as Legacy on a GPT configured drive if it was necessary. The Details of how to do this will be up to you.

The key you recovered, as far as I know, can only be used for installing the original Windows 8 that came on the system. It should not work with a downloaded version or purchased DVD, but I haven't actually tried it.

You should realize, if you remove the Recovery partition, you may loose any special recovery options the OEM supplied with the system.

Nice info. I will do backups. I have two 32-gig sticks, and one 64-gig stick, one 500-gig external usb3 drive.

I'd like to just wipe the 500-gig 7200-rpm drive. Install a raw Windows-8 OS. THEN pop in a PCLinuxOS into an external dvd-usb drive, and install it.

Though I'm not a Ubuntu fan. Don't like the Gnome layout. I like KDE more. So with all my wandering... I landed on PCLinuxOS. It has been my Linux choice for a while now.

Your pc should have come with an inbuilt utility to burn a set of recovery disks from the image on the hidden partition. Do this (and make a second copy to be safe) and yo may completely wipe your entire drive.

Back