Windows 10 Removing System Items From Start Menu

davefaz

One thing that really annoys me is a bunch of items in the Windows Start Menu that I don't use or don't work. I tend to throw such items in a "General" folder and forget about them.

However, some systemapps have entries in the start menu that seem to be hardwired -

Connect
Cortana
Microsoft Edge

To name but three. These can not be moved because they don't exist in the various windows menu folders. ( In fact Miracast does but since the latest update it ignores the entry in the start menu folder and is persistent no matter what you do ).

Does anyone know how to change the folder these reside in so I can move them to my own folder in the start menu?

You should be able to right click each icon and select "Unpin from Start"

I'm not talking about the tiles, I am talking about the list of apps in the start menu that are defined in the two Start Menu folders located in Programdata and Appdata. Some of the system items in the app list are not defined in either. In particular, the ones I mentioned. The links in the Start Menu folders can be moved about, but some of the system apps are not in those folders even though they appear in the start menu apps list. What I am after is where is the "start menu" folder for the system apps ( if there is one ) that include...

Connect ( Miracast )
Cortana
Microsoft Edge

Miracast used to be located in the Programdata/.../Start Menu folder, in fact it's still there, but moving it or even deleting it has no effect. The other two are not even in the Programdata/.../Start Menu folder.

Those items are built from
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
and
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

That's what I said. But some of the system apps appear in the apps list but are NOT in the Start Menu folders. Three that are in the list are ..

Connect ( Miracast )
Cortana
Microsoft Edge

But they aren't in the folders ( Miracast is but moving it makes no difference)

Last edited:
Probably won't get to delete those until they figure out how to make it or realize some of us want to only have calculator and solitaire in our all programs. If you find a way, please post here. I suggest using full screen start menu and pretend the all apps don't exist. I got used to full screen start menu in a day. Planning maybe a clean install and never using the start menu, lol.

Back