Windows 7 Scandisk on bootup

ramon82

Extraordinary Member
Scandisk on bootup

Hi all

I have run into a very strange problem. My company desktops update via WSUS - they are mostly Win7 machines but we have a few WinXP too. Recently all desktops are running a scandisk when powered on...its as if their file structure is corrupted. Going into their event viewer I found this error on all desktops: "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume OS." Then what I did is that I ve run SFC /SCANNOW and then CHKDSK C: /F /R. Unfortunately problem persists....this scandisk keeps coming up!!

Can you suggest something on how I can force it not to come up ??

Thanks a lot guys

Do all the PC's do this or just one? If it's isolated, that could point to a failing hard drive.
If its on all PC's, try opening cmd and typing fsutil dirty query c
it it shows up as dirty, type chkdsk c: /f /x and reboot.

You mention WSUS in your post. Do you feel that is related to the problem? Does the problem get worse after an update?

Can you change some settings on one system to see if it helps? You might try disconnecting one from the network for testing.

Does the event viewer give any more info other than what you indicated?

I suppose you run virus checks on a regular basis..

The C: partition is the only partition checked during the automatic Chkdsks? If the /R switch is there to help recover readable information, is anything being recovered?

Back