Windows 7 Second HDD error

pschest

I replaced my original HDD with a 128GB SSD. I installed the original HDD in the slot for my DVD drive. Everything works OK except that when I put the machine in sleep mode (close the lid on the laptop) and then open the system I get the following error message: " Probelm Ejecting ST9500420AS, This Device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device and try again". I click on OK and everything works fine. Does anyone know why I'm getting this error message and what I can do to keep it from popping up?

Thanks,
Pete

Attachments

• Device Error Message.jpg
    Device Error Message.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 313
If you remove the old hard drive does the message go away? Maybe put the DVD drive back in and get an external enclosure for the old drive.

Depending on brand, make and model of laptop, you might have an extra bay for 2 hdd's. Could you tell when you opened the back of laptop?

There is no bay for a second HDD, I'm using the slot that normally accepts the DVD drive which is also SATA

Hi

Sounds like the problem is that the computer thinks that the drive is still a CD-DVD drive, and not a Hard Drive that can't be ejected.

Maybe there is some way in either disk management or the bios to tell it that the drive is a hard drive.

How does the drive appear in Disk Management?

If you could post that here it would help.

Mike

The ST9500420AS that is referenced in your error message is a Seagate Momentus 500 Gig hard drive.
Check the properties of the device in device manager under Disk Drives and look under the Policies Tab, Check the Enable write caching on the device box and make sure the Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device is un-checked.
Also if there is a ReadyBoost tab turn it off

Back