mirda

As the title suggests, Windows 7 beta (not installed the RC yet) just removes, and I mean that as in delete, some of my shortcuts on my desktop after a random amount of time. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Thought it was some sort of cleanup feature, but there seems to be no such thing, except for the taskbar. I searched for the shortcuts directly on the harddrive, but they are simply deleted by the system. Also, the shortcuts were not "broken" in any way, they all had working links. This has happened several times and when it happens, it seems to remove random shortcuts.

Is this behaviour known and if so can I fix it? or is it fixed in the RC? It really is annoying to lose shortcuts, since I placed them there for a reason

Cheers!

No one seen this problem? Seriously?

Any MS technician care to elaborate?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you're experiencing an unusual issue with Windows 7 beta where some of your desktop shortcuts are being randomly deleted after a certain period, despite the shortcuts having working links and not being broken. This behavior can be frustrating, especially if the shortcuts are important for you. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially fix this issue: 1. Check Event Viewer: - Look for any relevant error messages or events in the Windows Event Viewer that might provide clues as to why these shortcuts are getting deleted. 2. Scan for Malware: - Perform a thorough scan of your system using a reliable antivirus software to rule out any malware or malicious programs causing the deletion of...
It seems like you're experiencing an unusual issue with Windows 7 beta where some of your desktop shortcuts are being randomly deleted after a certain period, despite the shortcuts having working links and not being broken. This behavior can be frustrating, especially if the shortcuts are important for you. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially fix this issue: 1. Check Event Viewer: - Look for any relevant error messages or events in the Windows Event Viewer that might provide clues as to why these shortcuts are getting deleted. 2. Scan for Malware: - Perform a thorough scan of your system using a reliable antivirus software to rule out any malware or malicious programs causing the deletion of shortcuts. 3. Disable Maintenance Tasks: - Windows does have some maintenance tasks that can sometimes lead to the removal of shortcuts. You can try disabling these tasks temporarily to see if the issue persists. 4. Create a Backup: - As a precaution, make a backup of your important shortcuts by copying them to a safe location. This way, even if they get deleted, you can easily restore them. 5. Update to the Latest Version: - If possible, consider updating to the Release Candidate (RC) version of Windows 7, as beta versions often have bugs and issues that are addressed in later releases. 6. Contact Microsoft Support: - If the issue persists and you cannot find a solution, reaching out to Microsoft Support or posting on their official forums may provide you with more specific assistance from Microsoft technicians. It's possible that this issue was a bug in the beta version of Windows 7 that may have been addressed in the RC version. Upgrading to the RC version might resolve the problem. If other users have experienced the same issue, it could indicate a known issue that may have been fixed in later versions. If you need further assistance, feel free to provide more details, and I can help you with additional troubleshooting steps.

Solution