Windows 7 Slow loading Desktp/Icons/Start Menu Icons

Gil80

Extraordinary Member
Hi.
I've just finished doing a repair install for my windows 7.

Since then, I encounter these issues: Slow loading Desktp/Icons/Start Menu Icons

Can anyone help me fix it?

Thanks in advance

Gil.

Why did you have to do the repair in the first place?

Were you getting blue screens, error massages, etc.

Was this a \"clean\" install or an upgrade.

I posted in this forum last week (http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/36050-need-help-windows-back-up.html#post133866),
that I encountered a problem with backing-up windows, and admin rights issues when I'm trying to save files into regular folders (all the screenshots in the link above).
Also, after I ran the sfc /scannow command, some nice dude told me that there's a problem that this command can't fix and I should do repair install.
Anyway, I did repair install (using upgrade).
I didn't check to see if the problems went away yet.

Most all of us agree that a "clean" install is the only way to go.An upgrade leaves useless files on your system and can cause conflicts (which you are seeing now)

Copy all your important Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos,etc to a flash drive,

Be aware, you will have to re-install all your 3rd party applications.

Well, I'm sure that upgrade isn't all that bad. I don't want to reinstall. but I do know that there must be a fix to this problem.

Actually, the upgrade is bad, but..............

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the Startup tab and uncheck everything except your anti-virus scanner, Spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

How many icons do you have on your desktop?

Actually, the upgrade is bad, but..............

Go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, click the Startup tab and uncheck everything except your anti-virus scanner, Spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

How many icons do you have on your desktop?

Why is it bad? I didn't upgrade from win-xp nor vista.

I have in the startup: ESET (NOD32), Realtek (Audio), Microsoft desktop gadget, Rocket dock and Catalyst (ATI).
On my desktop I have only 5 icons.

Why is it bad? I didn't upgrade from win-XP nor vista.

Could you better explain that sentence?

I've given the reasons why the upgrade route is not the best method to go in my previous post.

With only 5 icons on the desktop, I don't understand why that would be happening.

I believe it's due to Rocket Dock as that sucks up the most resources.

Could you better explain that sentence?

I've given the reasons why the upgrade route is not the best method to go in my previous post.

With only 5 icons on the desktop, I don't understand why that would be happening.

I believe it's due to Rocket Dock as that sucks up the most resources.

I already had Windows 7 64bit installed when I did the upgrade. I did it with the help of this post: Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums
So it's basically a repair install, not pure upgrade from old system to a new one.

How much resources does rocketdock consume?

Right-click on the taskbar and choose Start Task Manager

Drag the windows to the right so we can see the whole view. Now click on the memory column until it shows which programs are using the most amount of memory.

Now perform a ALT - PrtScr. paste that into Paint and upload the file here using the Manage attachments feature.

Last edited:
Right-click on the taskbar and choose Start Task Manager

Drag the windows to the right so we can see the whole view. Now click on the memory column until it shows which programs are using the most amount of memory.

Now perform a ALT - PrtScr. paste that into Paint and upload the file here using the Manage attachments feature.

I'm surprised that FireFox is a memory hog!

Link Removed due to 404 Error

In addition to that, could you please assist me with my other thread about my sfc /scannow error? http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/36050-need-help-windows-back-up-2.html

Thanks.

That is very, very high for Firefox.

I'll attach my screen shot as well.

Sorry, I don't use Microsoft Backup, so I can;t help you out there.

This is only on start up,correct?

As you can see I clicked on the memory column to sort from largest to the least amount. Is thee any program down below that we can;t see that;s takng more memory.

Do you have the latest version of Firefox.............3.6

If not, you should upgrade.

Attachments

• proccesses.jpg
    proccesses.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
That is very, very high for Firefox.

I'll attach my screen shot as well.

Sorry, I don't use Microsoft Backup, so I can;t help you out there.

This is only on start up,correct?

As you can see I clicked on the memory column to sort from largest to the least amount. Is thee any program down below that we can;t see that;s takng more memory.

Do you have the latest version of Firefox.............3.6

If not, you should upgrade.

I'll update now.
Regarding the previous thread. I don't seek help with the backup, as much as I need help with the problem that sfc /scannow can't fix. One of the guys in this forum wrote about the problem after I posted the CBS log file.

With that problem as well.I would opt for the "clean" install.

We could be here for days trying to figure this out when a "clean" install would take about 2 hours top to reload your 3rd party applications that's depending on How many you have.

If sfc /scannow does not fx the error, your system files are screwed up.

With that problem as well.I would opt for the "clean" install.

We could be here for days trying to figure this out when a "clean" install would take about 2 hours top to reload your 3rd party applications that's depending on How many you have.

If sfc /scannow does not fx the error, your system files are screwed up.

A clean install will take me about a week. With all the softwares and games and settings I have for windows... I would rather poke my eye with a needle.

OK,

I'm sorry I can't be of any further help for you.

Hopefully someone else will pick up the thread.

A clean install will take me about a week. With all the softwares and games and settings I have for windows... I would rather poke my eye with a needle.

Yes, i agree with that completely that is why (even if windows 7 backup won't work the usual way, I "offline" my D:\ drive with drive management (Reason for this is windows 7 tries to back it up as well and Me don't have that much room on my E:\ drive to store both an image of C:\ and D:\ combined... silly windows -=8^) once it's offline I select drive backup, but instead of running the backup part, i look to the left, and "create system image" which goes just fine as always, even when full drive backup fails.. Anyway images of your crucial system drive are vital in getting back "MOST" of what You had, so get in the habit of creating them every so often, depending on how much You do and install on the PC they are a must to recover from, anyway yeah that's How i stay sane in this wild malware infested PC world of ours... PEACE OUT!

StanDP.~A.K.A.~NecroGnomezZz.
:-bd
_/ \_

Back
Top Bottom