Windows 7 Someone Please help me determine what is causing my comp to crash

DFrost

So a couple of weeks ago I built a new desktop for personal purposes. Originally I loaded XP on the system and it ran fine with no problems for the first week, then after getting a copy on Win7 Ultimate I upgraded the system and all seemed fine. Then I would get the BSOD at really random times. I was not able to narrow down specific processes or tasks that were being performed to really narrow down why it was being caused. I unplugged all USB peripherals but still got it and again at random times. Sometimes I could have a 2 day uptime and then at one point I got it 3 times in 20mins. So I blew the system away did a fresh install, started applying some updates, (I do know the that a .NET 4 update got fffd due to 1 BSOD, and did another fresh install). FED on/off, I tried a bunch of combinations to try to figure out where the error was originating from. Anyway here I am now, day and half in, finally got my system up and running with my desired progs and services and randomly I get the BSOD again.... At this point I've trouble shot everything I could, switching between onboard and PCI-E video cards, BIOS settings @ fail-safe, optimal, and custom where I just tweak my own parts, but after this last BSOD, I just can't take it anymore. Also to note after the BSOD that prompted me to consult the forum, there was not a dump file created. but since the last dump file, there have been no additional hardware added or removed from the system. Any software added was non hardware driver dependent, specifically JDK7 with NetBeans and Eclipse.
Any help anyone can give is much appreciated. I'm wondering if maybe I have a defective DIMM or something, but I pulled them out and reseated them just to be sure also. Anyways, I've attached all the necessary files a more advanced dump analyst would need to try to tell me where the problem might lie. One piece of info that may not be in there in that I have a MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) mainboard. Everything else should be found in my zip file. Thanks for your help in advance and God bless you if you can help me.
Bests

Attachments

• BSOD win7 sys info.zip
    364.9 KB · Views: 290
Did you upgrade/install Win 7 Ultimate with SP1, update to SP1 via windows update or download SP1 and install separately?

Also are you using Kaspersky antivirus by chance?

Originally it was an upgrade, then I did a 3x wipe and reformat to a fresh install. SP1 is embedded in the installation and no not running Kaspersky, I have Norton on this machine.

What baffles me, is there doesn't seem to be any correlation in my activities and when I get the BS. The standard processes appear to be the same with maybe one or two variants, but then I have gotten the screen even when those weren't running. I thought that maybe a USB driver or something was causing it because it seemed that a particular device was attached when I got the error, but this last time it was not attached. That was approximately 6hrs ago and everything seems to be running just fine for now, but I know it will be back until I figure out exactly what it is and change it.

Just to note I did find a bios update that is dated later than my current one, if/when I get the BSOD again I'll try flashing the new file and see if that cures my problems, if no one can really see anything from the info I gave.

So I flashed the BIOS earlier today, had an uptime of approx. of 3hrs, till I got the BSOD. Oddly my system is not creating dump files anymore, even though my settings say to do so.... Suggestions anyone?

Hi there: don't you hate BSODs?
I didn't look at your Dump File, that's not my thing. Did you use a new hard drive? Or used? What make/model is it?

Faulty hard drives, faulty RAM, and unstable drivers can all cause BSODs. Are you by any chance using IMGBURN on your Win7 setup? If so, remove IMMEDIATELY!

:bulb:Sorry! I accidentally, hit a key and posted before I was done typing. :hide: I was starting to say that you should run diagnostics on your all your hardware, using a good linux tool set like the UBCD disc by Benjamin Burrows. You should eliminate the hardware from the equation, as you were trying to do by swapping your RAM modules around, and then wait for an analysis by one of the Crash Dump gurus here. They hopefully can tell you if it's a driver-specific problem or not and if the driver is associated with a hardware device or a program (such as IMGBURN) that has a conflict. If the CDG (Crash Dump Guru) finds a device driver used by a hardware device such as a hard drive and the hard drive also fails UBCD hardware diagnostics (especially PartEd Magic), then there is a good chance that your hard drive needs to be replaced.

All the software fixes in the world will not fix a faulty hard drive.

BTW, it was a CDG that helped me isolate the problem with the IMGBURN program on a different Tech Forum; I'd been having crashes regularly for like 8 months and could never figure it out. I since reverted my system back to the Vista it originally came with, and I haven't been back on Win7 since. I just wanted to mentione that the IMGBURN program seems to work ok with Vista; but there are definitely problems with Win7. The IMGBURN program is great at what it does, it's just that due to some incompatability they haven't been able to fix, you have to install on Win7, use it to burn your ISO files or whatever and then immediately remove it. I don't want people reading this to think it's a terrible program or virus-laden or anything. I just used as an example of a good program that you could have on your computer that is causing random BSODs. Also, since I have changed out my hard drive, even though it tested fine; it turned out to help mitigate the BSOD problems I was having in conjunction with my Win7 setup. (it's now serving nicely as an external usb backup drive!).

Anyway, I hope I didn't go too off-topic for you. Just trying to provide some insights.

Let us know about your hard drive make/model/specs, and best of luck! :bulb:

BIGBEARJEDI

Back
Top Bottom