Windows 7 sound wont work on my HP

mfritz

im not a tech savy person in the first place, but i upgraded to windows 7 and now its saying no audio devices are found. i believe i have an hp pavillion dv6-2066dx, but other than that i dont know much about it. also it says i dont have the authority to do system restores or even fully download anything. so im not sure whats wrong. sorry if this has been asked a million times but i really need help =(

Last edited:
This is most likely the cause of your problem.
I suggest you backup your files and do a "custom/clean" install.
Sorry to have to say it but that's really the easiest way out for a non-tech savvy person.

i tried to do that and it said i dont have permission to do anything like that, and im the only user on my computer, and im the administrator i checked, so im not sure what im suppose to do when i cant even back up my files

What do you mean you can't back them up?
Well then when you go to do a clean install, don't format your hard drive and windows will put all your old files in a folder named windows.old where you can move them over to your new installation.

ok so i go to try and "update driver software" for "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" and it tells me "Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error when trying to install it. Access is denied."

so thats just an example of one of the things that happens

where do i find it? i dont want to download the wrong thing

EDIT: the only ones i can find are for Vista not 7

Last edited:
It seems maybe the device is only compatible with Windows XP so here's the XP driver.
If it works it works, if not then please advise me and I'll get into another search for you.
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited:
this is where the other problem runs in, i tried to download it and this message pops up " windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" i dont understand how that is possible when im the only user created on this computer and im the administrator

You get this message when you try and run the driver installer?
There's one other thing you can try.. open device manager, select "update driver software" for the audio device.
select "browse my computer for driver software" and then "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
If there is a device listed as "High Definition Audio Device" install it, (ignoring any warnings about compatibility)
If not, uncheck the box that says "show compatible hardware, then find that device in the list.

Sure hope this helps!

so i did exactly that and i got this message when i selected the "High Definition" one..."Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The system cannot find the file specified" so i went back and tried selecting the other one and it said "this operation requires interactive window station" and then removed it from the list and is now called "unknown software".....so now i think this went backwards =( sorry for being such a pain but thank you so much for your patience and help

I'll look around for some more drivers tomorrow for you, ok?

Also, I just seen you edited your above post about the drivers, did you try to install the Windows Vista drivers?

oh no i havnt, but ill try. and yes thats fine, thank you so much. would it be easier to email or im possibly? or would you like to continue talking on here? its up to you, i didnt realize it was so late for you, its only 10 where i am haha

It's only 11 here.
I'll continue to talk here but I won't be very useful until morning.
Give the Vista drivers a shot now,

just realized i couldnt download them even if i wanted to, it wont let me download anything, saying i dont have permission to. sooo this is going to be a pain =( soo sorry yet again

still didnt work. ughh =( we can just continue tomarrow if youd like. this sounds like its going to take awhile to figure out

Back