Windows 10 Start Menu opens from sleep?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Anybody else notice the Start Menu is open when the Windows 10 system resumes from sleep?

At first I thought maybe the mouse was left over the Start Button which was opening the menu, but that does not appear to be the case. I suppose this is designed as part of the Revenue Stream Microsoft is looking for.

It is not doing it on any computers I have seen. But it will be interesting to see if there are positive responses in this thread.

It seems to happen on my large Touchscreen but I have not noticed it on the Desktop. I will check for some setting, but I know it is not the tablet option.

If you use the Power Button to put it to sleep, the mouse is in that area and the Start Screen is open at the time. I just woke it up and the Start Screen was not open but I may have used the Winkey+X menu to put it to sleep. I will make an effort to move the mouse away from the area to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the responses.

I am using a desktop and this morning I put it in sleep mode and this time the start menu didn't show upon waking it up.

I have see this behavior too. The screen that exhibits this behavior is a touch-enabled screen on a desktop system. Also the system seems to wake-up at unpredictable times like it is possessed. It even wakes up from hibernation which is a totally new and bazaar behavior that I never saw under Win7.

I don't have a touch screen on my desktop and it does it from time to time I checked it once this morning and the start menu didn't show. Just turned it back on from sleep again and it was up. I will have to try my hibernation out and see if it wakes up.

Note: I've used mouse and windows key to get to power menu and both exhibit same behaviour.

I'm pretty sure this is a deliberate attempt to get the metro interface tiles in our face more often. I get this every time I resume from Hib/Sleep. My first thought was "So I guess Microsoft want to ensure we see today's best deals".

It probably sounds slightly paranoid, but look at it from MS's point of view: they've gone to an AWFUL lot of trouble to re-work Metro into something that people aren't going to throw away out of hand (like they did with the Classic Shell extension for Win 8/8.1). Metro was clearly a way of disguising advertising boards in a menu system (text advertising isn't effective outside a good narrative). This new compromise between metro and classic still has panels that lead to MSN/Live pages that are all heavy with sponsors. It's not the first click that gets the cash, it's the second (read up on PPC campaigns if you're not sure). It's basic affiliate marketing with the user funnel starting as soon as you turn your PC on.

Last edited:
I have realized, if you use the Power button to put the system to sleep and wake it up with a mouse, both of my systems exhibit the same activity.

Microsoft wants eyes on the Start Screen, so maybe this is one way of doing that.

One thing I still wonder about, if the apps do not actually shutdown but stay in suspension, can they wake up long enough to download an advertisement stream...?

I also have the same problem with all updates installed as of today 18th August 2015.
It was a fresh installation of Windows 10, after it was released.

I don't think it is a problem... but an intended situation.

The way the computer entered sleep mode determines whether the Start Menu is open when you wake up the computer. If the computer times out and goes to sleep on its own or if you manually enter sleep mode by pressing Alt-F4 from the Desktop (click any spot on the Desktop background itself that doesn't have an icon on it to be sure you're "on the Desktop" before pressing Alt-F4) then the Start Menu won't be open already when you resume. But if you put the computer to sleep by using the Power link on the Start Menu, the Start Menu will be open when you resume from sleep.

Back
Top Bottom