Strange file access permission issue

This is because of Fast Startup in Windows. Changing the permissions or mount points in Linux will get nowhere. It occurs regardless of the HDD and memory, Linux distribution, or desktop environment. When Windows is hibernated or shut down with Fast Startup enabled, a write-protection error appears when attempting to use Windows' NTFS partition from Linux. The only solution is to shut down Windows properly by holding the Shift key while clicking Shut Down. Once Windows is shut down correctly, it just works properly.

To disable Fast Startup, which also increases startup time from 20 seconds to 110 seconds (in a 5400rpm virtual machine), right-click the battery icon in the taskbar, click Power Options, click "Choose what the power buttons do" in the left sidebar, choose "change settings that are currently unavailable", and uncheck Slow Startup.

To disable Fast Startup, which also increases startup time from 20 seconds to 110 seconds (in a 5400rpm virtual machine), right-click the battery icon in the taskbar, click Power Options, click "Choose what the power buttons do" in the left sidebar, choose "change settings that are currently unavailable", and uncheck Slow Startup.

I don't have a battery icon, would this be because its a mains power pc?

I don't have a battery icon, would this be because its a mains power pc?
Yes, I was too dumb to consider if there was no battery icon.
It's under Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings

If it's easier to use Command Prompt, or if the setting does not exist in Control Panel
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session" "Manager\Power /v HiberbootEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Hello @anotherwindowsuser

It's possible that the file permissions on the shared partition are set in such a way that Gimp doesn't have permission to access the file, while Geeqie does.

In Linux, file permissions are set for three different types of users: the owner of the file, the group the file belongs to, and everyone else. Each of these types of users can be granted read, write, and execute permissions separately.

It's possible that the file in question has different permissions for the owner, group, and other users, and that Geeqie and Gimp are running as different types of users with different permissions.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom