Windows 10 System Thread Exception Not Handled (igdkmd64.sys) problem again

Holdum & kemical,
Nothing has changed.

kemical I did the reset this, and it says: the drive is still locked. I then turn the machine off.

I did a reboot (with theWin 10 USB stick in place) and did another reset,
Still getting:-

RESET THIS PC.
The drive where Windows in installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.

I don’t understand how this drive has become locked, I don’t ever recall setting any drives on any computer to have a locked drive. Is it locked due to being in “Safe Mode”?

I just tried restarting and obviously it booted up from the USB Windows pen stick. So ran throught the things we did yesterday. Nothing changed. So closed down.

Before I "Disconnect all drives except for C and try the reset again" (as you have suggested) do I need to change the boot options in the BIOS so the USB stick does not boot the PC?

I shall be leaving in about an hour but will be back just after mid-day to disconect all drives (except "C") and follow any instructions you have given.
----------------
One thing (just for information) when my computer starts the options I have always had the following options:-

Press F2 or Del to run UEFI setup
Press F6 for instant Flash
Press F11 for Boot menu
Press Tab to switch screen

I will pick up any posts on my Mobile (if signal ok) and I shall know what to do on my return. Many thanks

Morning Silverman,
well your drive checked out fine which is always a good sign.

I presume your still booting straight into safe mode?

Please try a reset again like you did yesterday.

If the drive is still locked then turn off the machine and remove all drives except for C.

Try the reset again.

If successful start adding drives back one at a time.

Before I "Disconnect all drives except for C and try the reset again" (as you have suggested) do I need to change the boot options in the BIOS so the USB stick does not boot the PC?
Not really.

Although do make sure that your SSD is second on the boot list. USB first, SSD second.

Just turn the machine off and remove the drives.

When you boot back up you might not have the safe mode issue in which case we will have some further options.

Hi kemical, I thought I woulod just check the BIOS befoire starting, and I was sure I set the "Vertex 4 256Gb SSD Drive SSD Sata 3" as being the 2nd boot disc. This does not seem to be the case. Boot option#2 is set as: AHC1 P5: Pioneer which is thge DVD=RW DVR-21.
In fact clicking on the selection box for Boot options #2 only shows:- (5 items to select from)

ACHI P5: Pioneer which is thge DVD-RW DVR-21.
ACHI P1: WDC WD5000AAKX-001CAO
USB: Lexar USB Flash Drive PMAP (I think this must be a Lexar Card reader)
UEFI: Lexar USB Flash Drive PMAP (this is the memory stick we have put Windows 10 on)
DISABLED

See the image for my BOOT below

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Bios-Boot_210516.jpg
    Bios-Boot_210516.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 370
Hi Silverman,
can you check in the bios if all drives are showing up?

You'll probably find the information under 'Main'.

Please let me know what you find.

I would also still go ahead and remove all HDD except your SSD.

Start the machine and boot straight into the bios and see if you can find the SSD.

If you can find the SSD then see if you can boot to desktop and not safe mode.

Post back with your results so far.

1. I would also still go ahead and remove all HDD except your SSD.

2. Start the machine and boot straight into the bios and see if you can find the SSD.

3. If you can find the SSD then see if you can boot to desktop and not safe mode.

1. Done
2. Found it and selected it as the "Boot Option #2. Called "ACHI P1 OCZ-Vertex4"
3. As I still have the Laxar memory stick in place it boots from it, Currently on screen is the Windows tiles page that will take me to A. "repair your computer" OR B. INSTALL NOW, I assume I should select A" that gives me options:

Troubleshoot reset your PC or eee advanced options.
OR
"Turn Off your PC"

Hi Silverman,
excellent!

Now you want 'Troubleshoot' in order to reset the pc making sure you keep files and folders.

did that and got the following:-

Reset ths PC
The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try agan.

Option is CANCEL

did that and got the following:-

Reset ths PC
The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try agan.

Option is CANCEL

Please navigate back to Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Command Prompt.

Type this command:
bootrec /FixMbr
Press Enter.

Type this command:
bootrec /FixBoot
Press Enter.

Type this command:
bootrec /ScanOs
Press Enter.

Type this command:
bootrec /RebuildBcd
Press Enter.

Remove the installation media from USB port
Type exit
Press Enter

Restart your computer.

Post back with any results.

The results are as in this image, I could not Exit, should I have selected one of the options on the bottom two lines?

Still have it on screen!
The outstanding questions Add installation to boot list ? Yes (Y)/No (N)/All (a):

Attachments

• bootrec-results-210516.jpg
    bootrec-results-210516.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 315
Hmm..

I see that your windows installation is on Drive E.

This is incorrect as Windows should be on the C drive.

A reset may return it to the proper drive letter of C.

Add installation to boot list ?

Yes

Exit and reboot.

See if the system boots as per normal and post the results.

I entered y

It now saysThe stetem cannot find the path specified.

Should I have entered - capital Y instead of y or as you said YES

Sorry I seemed to have messed it up

I doubt very much that it's malware please ignore Holdum333 suggestion.

Sometimes the drive letters can get mixed up for a multitude of reasons.

It now saysThe stetem cannot find the path specified.
Probably because the drive letter has been changed to E.

One solution is to remove all drives except the drive which you want to be C.

You have already done this and so the only drive attached is your SSD.

You now need to boot from the USB drive and do a clean install of Windows 10. You will lose your data unfortunately but there isn't really a way round this.

When your asked during the install process where you want windows to be installed you'll be shown the drive in question and it's partitions. Simply delete everything on the drive including partitions and click next. Windows will then start the install process.

Remember you do not need to activate. If the activation screen pops up press skip or similar.

You can get your device drivers from the motherboard support page I posted earlier.

Any questions post back and good luck.

Thanks kemical, thats very disapointing if I have to loose everthing. Was this due to the fact that I selected a small "y" rather than YES?

I have an early start again tomorrw and really wacked, so I am off to bed for a sleep, will dream about it and see if I have any other options. Could I install a new "C" drive and perhaps recoved somthing from the Now fauly "C" drive after doing this? any other suggestions I will look at later tomorrow when I return.

Thanks to everboy for trying so hard.

Back