Windows 10 System Thread Exception Not Handled (igdkmd64.sys) problem again

You need to learn how to create back ups if your going to have data that will take months to recover. Maybe you should seek professional help about recovering important data. @kemical knows what he's doing, but not having the PC in front of him is very challenging.
I'm sure your issue could be solved by @kemical if he had the PC in front of him. This thread has 160replies. Maybe time to bite the bullet and start from factory! Good luck!

Was this due to the fact that I selected a small "y" rather than YES?
I doubt that very much

As I said or wrote earlier this could have happened for a multitude of reasons.

Installing a totally new C drive might be the way to go although before you do I suggest you get a trusted tech to have a proper look at your machine.

This should have been done in the first instance especially where important data is involved.

Get a tech in to look things over. You may have very well missed something so it's certainly worth trying.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Put together a few thoughts over night:

1. Am I lucky enough to think the other drives in this Mian PC will still be operational and free of this Malware?
2. I am thinking of pruchasing 2 x identical SSD's one for the new "C" the other to use with a mirror backup system.
3. The Main PC that has just failed DID Not have just Win 10 it had programmes that could only be used using on Pre Win 10 ones as well. If I load a clean install, how will I run my older Pre Win 10 programmes? OR will I not be able to use them?
4. Will the Lexar Memory stick (has the Windows install/repair on it) be damaged by the: Malware?
5. Before removing Norton from the Mian Computer (recommended) I am sure it had a Back Up, what it contained I don't know. As Norton carried out the deletion of Norton, I am assuming it's gone for good. What are the chances of it being recovered by Norton? (I think it's unlikly).
6. Should I ask Norton to reinstall NORTON on this laptop? is working, but I am not confident with it and I seem to have to reboot several times a day, espcially when sending posts to you site.

If you can help with any of the above, it will give me a much appreciate starting point. I am now off for about 10 hours, will see what you say later.

Thanks again

1. Am I lucky enough to think the other drives in this Mian PC will still be operational and free of this Malware?
I doubt very much it's malware.

I will repeat once again.

This could have happened for a multitude of reasons and is probably down to some form of corruption not malware.

2. I am thinking of pruchasing 2 x identical SSD's one for the new "C" the other to use with a mirror backup system.

A good idea for the future. Rather than blow money on drives why not get some tech support in?

The Main PC that has just failed DID Not have just Win 10 it had programmes that could only be used using on Pre Win 10 ones as well. If I load a clean install, how will I run my older Pre Win 10 programmes? OR will I not be able to use them?
Why not post the name of the applications and we may be able to tell you but to be honest you should be able to install them again.

4. Will the Lexar Memory stick (has the Windows install/repair on it) be damaged by the: Malware?
There is no malware involved and the USB stick is fine

5. Before removing Norton from the Mian Computer (recommended) I am sure it had a Back Up, what it contained I don't know. As Norton carried out the deletion of Norton, I am assuming it's gone for good. What are the chances of it being recovered by Norton? (I think it's unlikly).
You would need access to the C drive (currently called E drive) to check if the back up was there.

6. Should I ask Norton to reinstall NORTON on this laptop? is working, but I am not confident with it and I seem to have to reboot several times a day, espcially when sending posts to you site.

If you desperately want to use Norton then use it but I advise you not to. I would also like to keep this thread about the one machine.

If you would like further advice on the laptop and laptop only then open a new thread.

Probably your easiest route if you want to get the data back is buy a new drive for C and then access the old C drive at a later date to grab the wanted data.

I still recommend you getting some proper tech support. I know you keep ignoring this suggestion but you'd probably have the issue sorted in a day.

Last edited:
Hi kemical: you said
Probably your easiest route if you want to get the data back is buy a new drive for C and then access the old C drive at a later date to grab the wanted data.

I was thinking that as well, hence why my thoughts about having two identical SSD that would allow me to have a mirror system back up system for the future.

As suggested by <<<BBJ>>> in post #135 (I have looked at this before)

Are you also saying that a professional like yourelf if sitting beside my PC could recover the faulty "C" drive? what are the chances of this in realality? (or % wise).

I would appreciate if you can help me with the following questions.

I don’t understand two points of this exercise, how/why has the “C” drive now become the “E” drive.

Also how has it become locked? Is it not possible to change it? Using any run commands?

What about the Boot list, would changing that help, or any of the other settings in the BIOS.

As I can still access the disc in safe mode and whilst for a limited time (5 to 15 min) using the RUN options it seems to give me longer times, I have run several of the basic ones, and all I have tried seem to work. (I can’t remember many of them these days).

Would you like me to end this Thread, much of it possibly not going to help anyone with the sames problems due to the number of directions this has tanken us over the last 165 postings.

Thanks to you and the others, suggestions always welcome.

Are you also saying that a professional like yourelf if sitting beside my PC could recover the faulty "C" drive? what are the chances of this in realality? (or % wise).
Well for starters I'm not actually a professional. This is a volunteer based forum of users helping other users. We are not affiliated with Microsoft in any way and are basically a group of like minded individuals helping other folk out. There are some members who do work in the industry but they don't work for Microsoft or this forum.

You can extract data from drives using various apps or get it sent away and have it done professionally. It can vary on how much data is recovered.
How to Get Data Off an Old Hard Drive (Without Putting It in a PC)

why has the “C” drive now become the “E” drive.
Probably because the MBR or partition table has somehow been corrupted by whatever it is that happened.

Also how has it become locked?
Probably because the MBR has been corrupted.

Is it not possible to change it?
Usually one can change driver letters in Disk management except for C. This cannot be altered whilst in the Windows operating system. Usually the best way to recover is to unplug all drives except C or what should be C and clean install. The drives can then be added back one at a time.

What about the Boot list, would changing that help, or any of the other settings in the BIOS.
No

Would you like me to end this Thread, much of it possibly not going to help anyone with the sames problems due to the number of directions this has tanken us over the last 165 postings.
We never close threads Silverman as the user may want to post again or update their thread.

I still urge you to get some proper support. I fear that much has been missed in the confusion and getting a tech in may well help.
Let's put it this way, What have you got to lose at this point?

Last edited:
Sorry my friend @kemical ! I have to comment on your last reply. The best reply I've seen, and you are very professional my friend.
I go to HTG for a lot of help also like the link you attached. Using a docking station or cables would be a great way to recover data as you have suggested in your reply. Would be well worth a few bucks to give it a try.;):) Very nicely done my friend!

Well really there's two options although I imagine your going with the new C drive option and regain the data later?

One last bit of advice, as you know I can get into my "C" drive (currently "E") for about 5-15min only can I disable the login password?

I don't wish to pas this on to others.

can I disable the login password?
If your using a Microsoft account then no.

If you created a local account then you could boot into windows without a password

You can 'hide it'.

Open the run app and type:
netplwiz
click ok and you'll see a box appear.

Under the users tab you'll see a check box beside 'Users must use a username and password to use this computer'.

Un-check it and click apply. You'll then see where you can input your username and password.

Complete this and click apply/ok it.

Now when the system boots it will boot straight to windows without the log in feature although the password could still be found quite easily.

Probably the simplest way would be to change your other passwords and just leave the old one alone?

yes i know and ?
by the way that link you posted dose not work in my end and last i saw he was trying to logback to windows without password

Link should work now, thanks for 'reporting' that it doesn't work. To be honest I'm not sure it will work anyway for various reasons.

Last edited:
Back