Windows 11 Systray tooltips still a problem...

daden

I'm running Win11 Home stable (22000.254), and the systray icon tooltips are still popping up to the left of the icons (like time and date, battery status, wifi, etc) when hovering over the taskbar. These tooltips can show up anywhere upon hovering over the taskbar items, like Search, Task View, Widgets, and open programs/apps. At first, this didn't bother me too bad, but since then, they've gotten in my way a lot. I've attached a screenshot showing what I'm referring to. Is this just happening to me? I ask because I've left feedback regarding this problem with MS a few times, but nothing's fixed yet. Thanks. [This happened with the Dev and Beta versions, as well.]
Screenshot (5).jpg

It could be the shellexperiencehost freaking out. You can try running the following to remove the cache and re-register the process.

Run in Powershell
Code:
# Need to kill these two processes as they lock up the package resource directory
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
taskkill /IM shellexperiencehost.exe /F

# Pause
Start-Sleep -Seconds 2
$PackageRoot = "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Packages"
$PackageName = "\*ShellExp*"
$PackagePath = "$PackageRoot$PackageName"

# Rename old package data cache
Get-Item -Path $PackagePath | % { Rename-Item -Path "$($_.FullName)" -NewName "$($_.FullName).old"}

# Reinstall ShellExperienceHost
Get-AppxPackage -Name *ShellExp* | % { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode}

# Pause
Start-Sleep -Seconds 2

Start-Process Explorer.exe

It could be the shellexperiencehost freaking out. You can try running the following to remove the cache and re-register the process.

Run in Powershell
Code:
# Need to kill these two processes as they lock up the package resource directory
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
taskkill /IM shellexperiencehost.exe /F

# Pause
Start-Sleep -Seconds 2
$PackageRoot = "$($env:LOCALAPPDATA)\Packages"
$PackageName = "\*ShellExp*"
$PackagePath = "$PackageRoot$PackageName"

# Rename old package data cache
Get-Item -Path $PackagePath | % { Rename-Item -Path "$($_.FullName)" -NewName "$($_.FullName).old"}

# Reinstall ShellExperienceHost
Get-AppxPackage -Name *ShellExp* | % { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode}

# Pause
Start-Sleep -Seconds 2

Start-Process Explorer.exe
It seems to have fixed the issue I'm having, but only temporarily. It seems to start doing the same thing after a couple of minutes. Do I have to run these commands every time I reboot Windows 11? Also, at the risk of sounding like a noob, do I enter these lines exactly how you've typed them? Or do I have to replace "$PackageRoot", "$PackageName", etc., with something else? Thanks!

If it's coming back you probably have some other issue.

You can try this command from an elevated powershell prompt and a reboot will likely be needed.
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

I'm sorry, but that didn't fix the minor issue, either. Thanks anyway. I think we're on the right track, though.

Back