Windows 7 Taskbar icons missing

gundamz2001

Hi,

Today, all the icons on my taskbar are gone. No pinned programs, even when I open programs, there are no icons on the taskbar, only the start button, and the notification area are in the taskbar.

I have tried rebuilt IconCache.db. And I also tried booting into safe mode, but there are no icons on the taskbar in safe mode neither

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

You probably already checked this but make sure that the Quick Launch app is active.

Right click on Taskbar, Toolbars check box.

Mike

Hi

You probably already checked this but make sure that the Quick Launch app is active.

Right click on Taskbar, Toolbars check box.

Mike

I right-clicked on taskbar, select Toolbars, but there are only "Address", "Links", "Tablets PC Input Panel", "PowerDVD 9", "Desktop", and "New Toolbar". I don't know how to make sure that the Quick Launch app is active.

Thanks for your reply !

Try, right clicking on the Taskbar, select Properties, Select Toolbars.

Look and see if the option to turn on Quick Launch is there.

It should be, if it's not then that is probably the reason you can't see the icons.

If you have a restore point before this happened see if you can restore that.

Also try changing the option as to how the icons are shown in the Taskbar, Taskbar Buttons selection menu.

If none of this works try changing the theme and see if that makes a difference.

Mike

I cannot find Quick Launch option in the Taskbar->properties->Toolbars menu.

I don't have a restore point so I cannot restore it >.<

I tried messing with the options in toolbar properties and tried changing the desktop theme, but still can't get the icons to display.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Another update to the problem. I enabled the language toolbar. The "EN" icon is all the way to the left, right next to the "Start" button. When I move my cursor there, the cursor changed to arrows as if I can move the "EN", but nothing happen when I tried dragging it.

And normally, when I drag a desktop icons onto the taskbar, it would give me an option to "pin to taskbar", but right now, it's just showing a red stop icon.

It's like as if the part of the taskbar that holds the icons is gone.

On another note, I also tried sfc /scannow but it finds nothing.

Thanks again

You're welcome. A drag it didn't work. I fear you may have to rebuild to rectify the situation.

Thank you all for your help. My system admin at work found a script to modify some windows registry and everything is back to normal.

Thank you all for your help. My system admin at work found a script to modify some windows registry and everything is back to normal.

I'm having the same exact problem on one laptop. Do you know what edits he did? if not can you find out please? Thank You!

Just a wee mention here... you might want to consider... is it a Taskbar issue that needs repairing OR is the issue, actually, lie w/ Windows Explorer... that may be corrupt or broken & actually, be what needs fixing. The Taskbar may just be suffering from an issue w/ Windows Explorer not, the Taskbar itself. Just something that may be worth a look.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Just a wee mention here... you might want to consider... is it a Taskbar issue that needs repairing OR is the issue, actually, lie w/ Windows Explorer... that may be corrupt or broken & actually, be what needs fixing. The Taskbar may just be suffering from an issue w/ Windows Explorer not, the Taskbar itself. Just something that may be worth a look.

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 22499

I found the culprit by right clicking the task bar and going to properties, a box was unticked for "privacy settings" so it wouldn't show the icons. Thanks for you quick reply drew!

Good news & thanks for the update. I'm sure you know it is not normal or default for that box to be un-ticked. But, then too, stranger things have happened, LOL

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Back