Windows 7 Taskbar Issue upon startup

Daniel Sturkie

Just today, my computer shut down to do some Windows updates; annoying, but something I've come to randomly expect from Microsoft's products. It is the only programming change I have noticed within the last 24 hours.
Okay, to my problem. It seems that whenever I start my computer up my taskbar is frozen until I hit control-alt-delete. After that, at least so far, I have been able to use the taskbar fully. But it bothers me that suddenly my taskbar will not work properly on system start. The desktop still worked fine, applications would start, but it took a control-alt-delete to make any progress on the taskbar. All I had to do on the screen was cancel out of it, but I can't think of what could have caused the issue. Any advice would be helpful, and any solutions would be appreciated. :)
Sturkie

imo it is your mouse which may be causing the problem. Is it wireless? Try the touchpad, or, if you have one lying around, another mouse.

I have also read that some older editions of kaspersky can cause this to happen. Kaspersky or not, disable your antivirus (in Ms config) reboot and see if you still have the problem,

imo it is your mouse which may be causing the problem. Is it wireless? Try the touchpad, or, if you have one lying around, another mouse.
It's not that the computer is not reading clicks, it's as if my mouse wasn't even there. Mouseovers don't highlight anything either. Though I did attempt to use the touchpad, no dice.

I have seen a couple of taskbar questions lately. Have you installed any software that might change settings for it? Anything that starts with an A?

Can you open Task Manager to see if anything might be running in the processes that looks odd?

Have you updated your mouse driver, or as davehc suggests, a low battery can cause strange problems.

Okay, it seems to me that I've isolated the problem. With my Razer Deathadder mouse disconected, I didn't have any issues, and when I brought out my travel mouse, that worked fine too. So I've contacted Razer support since it seems to be a problem with their product instead of Windows.
PS to davehc
Before, when I tried the touchpad I still had the Deathadder connected and attempted to click while the problem presented itself.

Back
Top Bottom