Windows 7 Transferring adware to new computer

VictorV

I have a new Dell Inspirion 540 computer (running Windows 7) that is now infected with Adware-Isearch. When I transferred the files from my old computer which runs Windows XP using a Belkins Easy Transfer cable, the adware was transferred over. When I run McAffee antivirus, the Adware-Isearch program is detected. When I try to delete it, McAffee says it can not be completely removed. This was the situation on my old Windows XP computer also.

I have a second chance to do it right. There was a problem with the Inspiron 540 that Dell couldn't fix, so they sent me a new Inspirion 570. I don't want to infect this computer when I transfer the files from the Inspiron 540. All I really need to transfer is my documents and photos. If I just transfer my word perfect documents and photographs would that prevent the adware from being transferred and infecting the new computer? Can this be done using a custom transfer with Windows Easy transfer? Would it be safer to transfer these files to a flash drive and then to the new computer? Thanks

Hello VictorV I would not recomend that you do any of the above untill you have totaly removed the threat as this is a pesky bit of adware that has been around for years.
I would suggest you go here Link Removed due to 404 Error and read the info there.
Also you should download and run a full scan using malwarebytes anti malware you can get the free version from here Link Removed - Invalid URL
Once all is clear you can safely transfer your files.I suppose you could save your photo's etc to a usb pen and then scan the pen before you transfer the files to a new computer.
But if you plan to still use or sell the old computer you should still clean out any viral infections first.
Hope this is of help to you.

Back