Windows 7 Tricky Nvidia Problem

Maikeru

Hello. I'm doing fine with most of my Windows 7 upgrading, but there's one exception: My 5 year old Sony laptop.

It uses an Nvidia GeForce Go 6200 video card.

This card was great in its' day, but is a little outdated now. By itself, it has 32 mb of video memory... not enough to run Windows 7 properly. However, the engineers at Nvidia used technology called "TurboCache Memory" to increase the available video memory for this card to 128 mb. Apparently, the Nvidia drivers "borrowed" extra memory from system resources. It's a cool concept, but the question I have is: Will this card ever be able to work with Windows 7? Even the Nvidia site has no Windows 7 driver for this. Sony released a Vista Basic compatible driver a while back, but sadly no Aero functionality was possible with that release. And of course I would want the Aero functionality.

I'm probably gonna get a replacement laptop if my current one won't cut it, so there's a lot hanging on this. Any help would really be appreciated.

Basically a card that old was always gonna be set to BASIC profile, as good as nvidia are they can't be expected to make 8 year old video card technology drivers that work for a new OS as it's well past its lifespan for support. As for Turbo-cache, that was an abomination even when it first came out....how could they call it turbo cache when system ram was slower than Gpu ram?

Last edited:
Thank you for your help, Highwayman. It's really appreciated, and will save me lots of time with not trying to make my laptop do something it can't. Now I can spend more time with the installation of Windows 7 that already is working! :)

lol the basic profile isn't all that bad really, the real gain being that you've now got lovely windows7 running...okay so it's an average face on a hot body....ya still getting a hot body :D

P.S. I Windowx 7 on several widely different spec computers. The worst ia a laptop with 7600 go. I think that is probably as low as you can go. ( sorryy for the pun) !!!

Did you run Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser on this system first? Note that Win 7 is designed to support current and near future technologies. It was not designed to support legacy hardware that was designed to run 10 year-old operating systems (5 year old computers were designed to support XP).

Back