Windows 7 Two hard drive boot

realwin7noob

I have two hard drives on my computer. One has Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (1T, default load) and the other Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (500 gig). I want to be able to boot off the 32 bit HD to play my games, they run terrible on the 64 bit drive. I have gone to the msconfig boot tab and it does not show the 32 bit drive, though it does appear in "my computer". Both drives are SATA. The only way I have of playing any of the games is by actually unpluging the 64 bit drive and then booting, and that's a pain. :mad: Any help will be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

I have two hard drives on my computer. One has Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (1T, default load) and the other Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (500 gig). I want to be able to boot off the 32 bit HD to play my games, they run terrible on the 64 bit drive. I have gone to the msconfig boot tab and it does not show the 32 bit drive, though it does appear in \"my computer\". Both drives are SATA. The only way I have of playing any of the games is by actually unpluging the 64 bit drive and then booting, and that's a pain. :mad: Any help will be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.
If you want a guaranteed solution (can try for free), download bootitng from Link Removed - Invalid URL.

I have XP on a 120 Gig and Win 7 Home Prem 64bit on my 320 Gig SATA drives. My question is this; Why does win 7 have 2 program files? One says Program(x86) and the other just programs.

You are running the 64 bit version but most software is written to run in 32 bid mode. That's the way 7 installs them to keep them separate. You have ie in both. You can't view youtube videos with the ie in the program files folder but you can with the version in the (x86) folder.

Thanks

Okay, I download and installed the hard drive boot program. It works except for one thing, it will not let me choose which drive I boot from (it shows C:, L: and boot, L: beining my 1T, 64 bit drive) when I turn on the computer. It will not stay at "boot" when I click save, so, if I want to use the 32 bit drive and it boots to the 64 bit drive I have to change the setting and then reboot, and the other way around. Better than haveiong to actually unplug my 64 bit drive, probably better for the drives, too. Is there any way to choose from the very begining? :confused:

Thanks

Okay, I download and installed the hard drive boot program. It works except for one thing, it will not let me choose which drive I boot from (it shows C:, L: and boot, L: beining my 1T, 64 bit drive) when I turn on the computer. It will not stay at "boot" when I click save, so, if I want to use the 32 bit drive and it boots to the 64 bit drive I have to change the setting and then reboot, and the other way around. Better than haveiong to actually unplug my 64 bit drive, probably better for the drives, too. Is there any way to choose from the very begining? :confused:

Thanks
The bootitng homepage has some good tutorials on setting up your partitions for selective boot and how to mask off the other partition(s) that you are not using.

Right-click on Computer om the the desktop, choose properties, click the Advanced system settings, then click the Settings button under Startup an Recovery.

What's listed here?t

Thanks

No software can determine that, it's set in the bios before software runs, .... so your only option is to boot to a drive with a multi-boot menu so you can go from there to and drive, any os.

Check my blogs, you may bet easybcd to work or you can run 3 bcdedit commands to set up the multi boot menu

No software can determine that, it's set in the bios before software runs, .... so your only option is to boot to a drive with a multi-boot menu so you can go from there to and drive, any os.

Check my blogs, you may bet easybcd to work or you can run 3 bcdedit commands to set up the multi boot menu

That's a good topic for debate.. ;) Seeing as by definition the BIOS IS a form software.. :)

That's a good topic for debate.. ;) Seeing as by definition the BIOS IS a form software.. :)

What does BIOS stand for? basic input/output system

Software may access and modify the bios but it can't do that until AFTER the bios boots the system.

Did you ever try EasyBCD as tblount suggested? Get us a picture of the Disk Management window, and then use a administrative command prompt to run bcdedit. The command window will show what you currently have set up. A snipit can get both at once. Then attach it to your post.

Back
Top Bottom