Windows 10 Unclickable Task Bar

Sankalp

So my laptop was recently attacked by malwares. I tried removing them using windows defender and I think they got removed. But afterwards I am suffering from following problems:

1. Windows apps like Groove music, default video player of windows, calculator etc. have all just disappeared...vanished...can't find them....can't run them.

2. Laptop stability now sucks.....Some services not running....

3. Most importantly, whole taskbar is unclickable . I mean I can't "left click" anywhere on taskbar, though right click works. I have tried several things including power shell method but to no avail.

Please help!!

Thanks in advanced..

Your system is probably still infected, grab at least spybot and malware bytes and run them in safe mode.

I tried scanning using spybot search and destroy, and malwarebytes. Nothing happened. Shall I do the same in safe mode? Is windows defender not enough?

AV is only about 40-60% effective, so no it's not generally enough especially after an infection. Lots of malware are able to defeat AV scanners, so yes I would scan in safe mode. Also malware can affect a system in many ways including corrupting system files, so the system instability could be due to the after affect of the infection.

AV is only about 40-60% effective, so no it's not generally enough especially after an infection. Lots of malware are able to defeat AV scanners, so yes I would scan in safe mode. Also malware can affect a system in many ways including corrupting system files, so the system instability could be due to the after affect of the infection.

I recently found out that all ms apps got removed by the powershell command. Now I can't re-register them.

Hi there,
Recovering from virus/malware infections is very similar to recovering from problems due to Microsoft weekly or monthly updates. Common problems due to virus removal are disabling or corruption of drivers for audio (sound), video (graphics), and network adapters (Internet connection).

Make sure you test your hardware using these 2 links:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Testing your hardware is especially important if you have an older computer and it did not come from the factory with Windows10 pre-loaded on it, such as a computer with Win7/Win8x installed. These computers can be up to 9 years old now as Win7 computers came out in 2009 and hardware failures often begin after systems are 5 years old. :waah:

Once tested, I suggest you take a look at my instructions on this link with regard to another W10 user whose audio failed. The questions on his hardware specs and the recommended solutions are covered in my POST #3. Here's the link: Sound Problems

Testing you hardware, once done, allows you to pursue software solutions I discuss such as System Restore and Windows reset/reinstallation. These are of course much more time consuming and more complex than many home users can handle. Many of our forum users have good success with these procedures followed in the order I recommend. Read through this post and my linked post and give it a try. I've found that these procedures result in success about 90% of the time.:applaud:

Post back your specs, and or SPECCY file and let us know how it goes. Please don't hesitate to ask questions along the way if you get stuck. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi there,
Recovering from virus/malware infections is very similar to recovering from problems due to Microsoft weekly or monthly updates. Common problems due to virus removal are disabling or corruption of drivers for audio (sound), video (graphics), and network adapters (Internet connection).

Make sure you test your hardware using these 2 links:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics
HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Testing your hardware is especially important if you have an older computer and it did not come from the factory with Windows10 pre-loaded on it, such as a computer with Win7/Win8x installed. These computers can be up to 9 years old now as Win7 computers came out in 2009 and hardware failures often begin after systems are 5 years old. :waah:

Once tested, I suggest you take a look at my instructions on this link with regard to another W10 user whose audio failed. The questions on his hardware specs and the recommended solutions are covered in my POST #3. Here's the link: Sound Problems

Testing you hardware, once done, allows you to pursue software solutions I discuss such as System Restore and Windows reset/reinstallation. These are of course much more time consuming and more complex than many home users can handle. Many of our forum users have good success with these procedures followed in the order I recommend. Read through this post and my linked post and give it a try. I've found that these procedures result in success about 90% of the time.:applaud:

Post back your specs, and or SPECCY file and let us know how it goes. Please don't hesitate to ask questions along the way if you get stuck. We are here 24x7x365.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I had windows 10 pre-installed. (Home edition..) Device manager says drivers are working properly. I think I need to reset my PC...

You can install all the Windows apps with the following commands. You will need to open an elevated powershell prompt.

Code:
Foreach($dir in $(Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps")) { if ($(Test-Path -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml")) { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode } }

Foreach($dir in $(Get-ChildItem "C:\Windows\SystemApps")) { if ($(Test-Path -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml")) { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode } }

Last edited:
You can install all the Windows apps with the following commands. You will need to open an elevated powershell prompt.

Code:
Foreach($dir in $(Get-ChildItem "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps")) { if ($(Test-Path -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml")) { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode } }

Foreach($dir in $(Get-ChildItem "C:\Windows\WindowsApps")) { if ($(Test-Path -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml")) { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode } }

So I had to reset my PC and task bar is clickable now. However preinstalled apps of windows and store are still missing. I tried that powershell thing. And I get the following message:

yx8nvb7ef

Untitled — Postimage.org

Oops change the path in the command to "C:\Windows\SystemApps"

This one may give you errors if any of them are already installed which most should be.

Code:
Foreach($dir in $(Get-ChildItem "C:\Windows\SystemApps")) { if ($(Test-Path -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml")) { Add-AppxPackage -Path "$($dir.FullName)\AppxManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode } }

Oops change the path in the command to "C:\Windows\SystemApps"

This one may give you errors if any of them are already installed which most should be.

Code:

So I tried what you said and I get this:

nxfne2ttd

Untitled — Postimage.org

But then I rebooted my PC and nothing happened. No store, no preinstalled apps either. Any ideas?

Edit: I even tried run: wsreset.exe and I get this: Untitled — Postimage.org

Last edited:
That error is normal, Cortana won't normally install, plus it's probably already there. The first command should have installed the store etc. Most likely the malware damaged the apps, so you may need to reinstall Windows to fix the issues.

Nice try, neemo! :applaud:

Sankalp; if you do reinstall your W10, it's a good idea that you test your hardware as in my Post #7. The diagnostics are free and you can do them in a day or so. What you don't want to do is reinstall your Windows on failing or failed hardware, only to have the exact same problem reappear! Remember that no software on the planet can fix broken hardware!!

Good luck!:encouragement:
BBJ

That error is normal, Cortana won't normally install, plus it's probably already there. The first command should have installed the store etc. Most likely the malware damaged the apps, so you may need to reinstall Windows to fix the issues.

That's why I resetted my PC. That's what it does. In a way it reinstalled windows 10. And the taskbar became clickable. But apps still aren't there. What are you suggesting?

If the apps aren't being installed it's usually due to corrupted W10 install media or failed hardware.:zoned: Did you test your hardware using the diagnostics I gave you links for in my Post #6 above yet? Did you buy or make your own W10 install media? Did it come with your computer when you bought it? If you made your own W10 source, where did you download the ISO file from? Was it from a site other than Microsoft?

Either or both of these problems can cause the symptom you are having.:ohno: Test you hardware, and post back answers to my questions about your W10 install media, and we'll advise you further. Whatever you have done, you either didn't install W10 from good source or you have failed hardware in that computer which you haven't found and replaced yet since you haven't tested it yet!! Clearly you have done something wrong at this point, or you haven't finished the troubleshooting we recommended to you. Following are guidelines will help you to resolve this problem and get you going again. :cheerful:

BBJ

If the apps aren't being installed it's usually due to corrupted W10 install media or failed hardware.:zoned: Did you test your hardware using the diagnostics I gave you links for in my Post #6 above yet? Did you buy or make your own W10 install media? Did it come with your computer when you bought it? If you made your own W10 source, where did you download the ISO file from? Was it from a site other than Microsoft?

Either or both of these problems can cause the symptom you are having.:ohno: Test you hardware, and post back answers to my questions about your W10 install media, and we'll advise you further. Whatever you have done, you either didn't install W10 from good source or you have failed hardware in that computer which you haven't found and replaced yet since you haven't tested it yet!! Clearly you have done something wrong at this point, or you haven't finished the troubleshooting we recommended to you. Following are guidelines will help you to resolve this problem and get you going again. :cheerful:

BBJ

No no... Softwares are installing fine. It's just that pre-installed apps and windows store are missing. Windows 10 came pre-installed in my PC. I just resetted my PC..it remains genuine.

When I troubleshoot my PC for "windows store" it gives this: "service registration is missing or corrupt".

WSreset.exe and all don't seem working.

I'll run harware tests but I can't because file is not booting with that usb...(I made bootable usb with that test file..)

Are you sure it's hardware??

A reset and re-install are not the same. A reset will for the most part restore settings, but it will not fix corruption whether it's due to a malware infection or hardware failures.

d my PC..it remains genuine.
A reset and re-install are not the same. A reset will for the most part restore settings, but it will not fix corruption whether it's due to a malware infection or hardware failures.

So have I to reinstall windows 10 from dvd? I will have genuine windows regardless because win10 hunts for my product key anyway right? But it will not remove my nvidia drivers and all right? What will be removed?

Ok, what i did was reset my pc, remove everything, don't clean the drive...

Even registry of windows store is not there..See: Untitled — Postimage.org

In powershell, Get-Appxpackage -Allusers does not list windows store. Why?

Last edited:
If Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers "*Store*" returns nothing then it is completely removed from your system. If this folder is missing
Microsoft.WindowsStore_11602.1.26.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe from C:\Program FIles\WindowsApps, then you can't install the store. You could try copying the folder from another system and then rerun the first command I listed. The other option is to completely wipe out your Windows install and start with a clean install.

Another possibly, is if they are missing, do a search in explorer for .appx and .appxbundle files. If you can find a copy of the built-in applications, from searching in Windows explorer, you can install them from an elevated command prompt with DISM /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\pathto.appxor.appxbundlefile

Back