Windows 7 Unconventional Windows Live Mail 2011 Taskbar Icon

Jim S

Honorable Member
Why can't Windows Live Mail 2011 use the icon that is pinned to the taskbar when it goes into execution like every other Windows 7 program I run? Instead it creates a duplicate icon on the right end of the taskbar. One would think that if anyone followed Windows 7 conventions it would be Microsoft.

--Jim--

Jim is it possible to right click on said icon, choose properties and change the icon to one you prefer?

Jim is it possible to right click on said icon, choose properties and change the icon to one you prefer?

I'm not objecting to the appearance of the icon. I currently have 17 icons on my Windows 7 taskbar representing 17 different programs. When the program is not executing, the icon does not have a border around it. When I click an icon, the program starts running, and the same icon in the same position in the taskbar then has a rectangle around it to indicate that the program is running. Windows Live Mail 2011 is the only program that does not obey this convention. It leaves the original icon in its position with no rectangle around it and creates a duplicate icon at the right end of the taskbar. The duplicate icon does have a rectangle around it. This behavior is new with WLM 2011. The previous version of WLM that I used up until a few weeks ago did not do this.

--Jim--

Not sure but I would suspect that the new version of WLM has adopted the more conventional method of letting the user know that the program is currently running by adding the icon that you reference to what we used to call the system tray, now called system notification area. It's basically the same thing that you are referring to concerning a notification that the program has been initiated and is currently running. I don't use WLM but I use Outlook 2010 which basically does the same thing as you are describing.

Not sure but I would suspect that the new version of WLM has adopted the more conventional method of letting the user know that the program is currently running by adding the icon that you reference to what we used to call the system tray, now called system notification area. It's basically the same thing that you are referring to concerning a notification that the program has been initiated and is currently running. I don't use WLM but I use Outlook 2010 which basically does the same thing as you are describing.

I failed to mention (because I didn't notice it until now) that in addition to the large duplicate icon in the taskbar (the left portion of the horizontal strip at the bottom of the screen), there is a much smaller WLM icon in the system notification area (formerly called the system tray) in the right portion of the strip. Thus there are three WLM icons at the bottom of the screen when WLM is running - the original large one with no rectangle around it and the duplicate large one with a rectangle around it, both in the taskbar, and the smaller one in the system notification area. This is surely not a convention for Windows 7.

Does this forum support the inclusion of a graphic or attachment of a JPEG file to a post? I'd be happy to include a picture of what I am seeing if it would help clarify things.

--Jim--

Last edited:
Nope you got me there. Like I said I don't actually use WLM, so maybe someone who does may have more information. But in the mean time could you check the properties of your taskbar. Right click a blank area of the taskbar and choose properties. Make sure at the top of the properties dialog box that the taskbar tab is selected, then in the area that is labeled "Taskbar buttons:" make sure that you have "Always combine, hide labels selected.

Yes to answer your edited question. When replying just remember to select the "Go Advanced" button and then you can choose the paper clip gizmo to attach a image from your computer.

Could you check the properties of your taskbar. Right click a blank area of the taskbar and choose properties. Make sure at the top of the properties dialog box that the taskbar tab is selected, then in the area that is labeled "Taskbar buttons:" make sure that you have "Always combine, hide labels selected.

Taskbar properties look good. Under Taskbar appearance, Lock the taskbar is checked, Auto-hide the taskbar and Use small icons are not checked, Taskbar location on screen is set to Bottom, and Taskbar buttons: is set to Always combine, hide labels.

--Jim--

I've attached two images that comprise the left and right halves of the strip at the bottom of my screen, making up the taskbar and the system notification area. In the left half image (which I think is the thumbnail on the right - click it to view a larger version) you will see the start button followed by 13 program icons. Programs 1, 2, 5, and 9 are currently running, denoted by the rectangles surrounding them. They are respectively Windows Explorer, Firefox, Word, and NoteTab. Windows Live Mail 2011, represented by icon 4, is also running. It does not have a rectangle, but it should have. Review the previous discussion of this topic.

In the right half image (left thumbnail) you will see 5 program icons on the left and a number of small icons on the right that represent running programs. The fifth program icon represents Window Live Mail 2011, and it is surrounded by a rectangle. It should not be there at all, and the WLM icon in the left half image should have had a rectangle.

--Jim--

Attachments

• Taskbar Right.jpg
    Taskbar Right.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 594
  • Taskbar Left.jpg
    Taskbar Left.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 566
Hmm.. I kinda see what you mean. It's like they have swopped positions (the WLM icons). Have you tried deleting or unpinning all icons to do with WLM? Once they are removed you could just drag and drop a new icon from either the desktop or start menu into the system tray area.

Have you tried deleting or unpinning all icons to do with WLM? Once they are removed you could just drag and drop a new icon from either the desktop or start menu into the system tray area.

Great suggestion, kemical! I closed down WLM, and the icon at the right end of the taskbar went away. Then I unpinned the other WLM icon that was on the left part of the taskbar and it went away also. Then I dragged the WLM icon from the desktop to the taskbar and pinned it to the right end. Finally, I moved it left on the taskbar to the position where the original icon resided. Now when I click that icon WLM starts running and the icon gets a rectangle around it, just like it is supposed to. There is no duplicate icon. Thanks much for the suggestion!

--Jim--

Great suggestion, kemical! I closed down WLM, and the icon at the right end of the taskbar went away. Then I unpinned the other WLM icon that was on the left part of the taskbar and it went away also. Then I dragged the WLM icon from the desktop to the taskbar and pinned it to the right end. Finally, I moved it left on the taskbar to the position where the original icon resided. Now when I click that icon WLM starts running and the icon gets a rectangle around it, just like it is supposed to. There is no duplicate icon. Thanks much for the suggestion!

--Jim--

I looked at your screenshots and was about to post the same thing as Kemical but he beat me to it ;)
I've seen a number of programs that do this.. Games in particular. Guess it's a simple Windows 7 bug or incompatibility.

Oh my god, this worked! I can't believe a) why a MS native program would not follow its own jumplist format they touted so proudly, and b) why there has been such a lack of solutions to this on the net.
Thanks for the fix!

Back