Windows 7 Unexpected sudden shutdown

getmanan

hil...
3 days after i installed installed windows 7 i got an unusual problem.my lenovo laptop was working fine with windows xp sp3 and with vista sp1 too.
Now sometimes my system turns off automatically.when i checked the event log it had some error related to " ACPI thermal".i guess it is coz of overheating.iam not sure what is causing it.iam not doing any cpu intensive task.and cpu is idle mostly.also its winter season here..i dint hav such prob with any version of windows.
Is it a windows 7 issue or a hardware prob? the cpu fan seems to work normally.
plz suggest a solution.
thanx

If this is a windows 7 problem then i am unaware of it. I would suggest to get one of the cooling pads to put under your laptop. Windows 7 has built in safety measures so that if your laptop gets to hot it just shuts down. Alot of times dust and lint and hair get caught up in the fan making it less efficient but still sounding the same. I would have to go with your hard drive is probably overheating and windows shut it down.

Kind of same issue here. I was playing Tom clancy´s HAWX in my laptop w W7 (incredible fast,, w max detail) Anyway, I have an Acer Aspire 5930G and the hard drive is REALLY overheating, and also, now has shut down a couple of times. Not only when playing, also movies and 3DMax (never happened w VISTA, that it´s also installed just in case). Maybe a driver´s issue? btw, my HDD is a Western Digital 320gb

There are no 'built-in' safety features that include a system power down. An unintended/unexpected power down has more to do with malfunctioning OS driver controllers than it does with safety features. Don't be fooled by that.
Try installing third party hardware monitoring software, create a log file then after the next 'self-power down' read it.
Double/Triple check your hardware drivers/controllers
Make sure your anti-virus is up-to-date - LOL -
There more you can do but it depends on skill level/ability

I'm having the same issues as you guys- random shuts down. It just shuts off without any reasons. It could be less than 5 to 10 minutes and shuts down while I'm surfing the net or have it up for 20 hours and it's fine. I built my own HTPC and never had any issues with Vista. Either windowsl 7 is more sensitive than all the other OS's because more and more users will find that it might be windows 7.

I haven't had a random shutdown for a while. I found my video card to be the culprit - getting really hot and causing a crash. It's less than a year old but it's failing already. Got into the bios and sped the fan up and also had it turn on sooner. No more crashes but it will eventually fail - an inherent problem with the Nvidia 8400 series. Since Windows continues to demand more video memory among other things, these kind of problems will be more frequent with users with older machines.

I don't do any video editing, games, only occassional movie. It seems to always shuts down when I'm surfing the internet. I'll look into my video card, but I seriously doubt that is the issue.

i have the same problem, random shut down after i turned on windows 7 after about 1 to 2 hours. I installed windows 7 three days ago on Compaq Presario V3614AU. During these 3 days, the windows restart automatically when i surfing the net after 1 to 2 hours (no heavy work, temperature seems to be ok). then it appeared a screen that ask whether i want to restart in safe mode or restart normally, then i restart normally. the windows then can function normally for the whole day.
Is it a factor of driver crashed? because there is no drivers of Compaq Presario V3614AU in Windows 7, so i install Windows Vista's driver for my laptop hardware.
Anybody here to help me, pleaaassseeeee?

i have the same problem, random shut down after i turned on windows 7 after about 1 to 2 hours. I installed windows 7 three days ago on Compaq Presario V3614AU. During these 3 days, the windows restart automatically when i surfing the net after 1 to 2 hours (no heavy work, temperature seems to be ok). then it appeared a screen that ask whether i want to restart in safe mode or restart normally, then i restart normally. the windows then can function normally for the whole day.
Is it a factor of driver crashed? because there is no drivers of Compaq Presario V3614AU in Windows 7, so i install Windows Vista's driver for my laptop hardware.
Anybody here to help me, pleaaassseeeee?

Hi and welcome.

You'll gain the best results by creating a thread, where members can reply specifically to your issue(s).

In it, you can post your crash dumps. Here's how:

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy and paste the files there to any other folder. Zip the files. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

Back