Windows 10 Update for Build 9879

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
A new update has been released for users of the 9879 Build obtained via the Fast Ring. So check Windows Update now folks.
Roughly two weeks ago, Microsoft released Windows 10 build 9879 to Windows Insider Program participants. Those of you who were in the fast ring were able to download and install this build, but faced numerous performance issues and bugs.

Microsoft has yet to release the build for slow ring participants but today the company has released a small 2MB update (KB3019269) that 'resolves issues in Windows.' This update likely fixes a few bugs and improves performance for those who were experiencing issues with Windows 10 build 9879.

Head over to Windows Update and snag this update. Remember, it will only appear for those of you who installed Windows 10 build 9879 (fast ring). The same build is expected to be released this week for slow ring participants and will most likely include this fix as well.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...uild-9879-address-bugs-and-performance-issues

My pitiful 2MBs came in my normal updates. I am looking for the "bugs" it is alleged to have corrected.

So far only one of the minor issues i was having has been fixed I still have no keyboard lights. The funny weird reboot I was getting at times when shutting down seems fixed so at least it's done something.

OK. I tracked it down. Its only purpose is to fix the blue screen issue, which I have not experienced, but have read of others having the problem.

Hi

It does seem to have fixed the problem I had with Windows rebooting almost every time I tried to shut it down.
I usually had to do it at least twice to get it to actually turn off.

But still no keyboard lights!

Mike

I checked my PC settings/Updates and using the Fast for new builds said I didn't have any. However, like Davehc, there was an update for 9879 and updated like davehc.

I've not had those BSOD's or shutdown/reboot issues....none the less my version is fully udated.

Good news for those who were still awaiting the ISO. But, in all, a bit of a non event for the rest.

P.S. For those to whom it is applicable. These latest ISOs are now available on MSDN subscription.

Last edited:
OK. I tracked it down. Its only purpose is to fix the blue screen issue, which I have not experienced, but have read of others having the problem.
I have so many Blue Screens with 9879, I am beginning to think that is my Desktop Background !!!!!!

Seems to be related to the X99 motherboard and perhaps the i7 5930K with certain GPUs, like Nvidia. It does seem to be both Nvidia and ATI graphic cards involved.

My Z87 install seems fine, but it has Intel Graphics.

The update does not fix the Blue Screen problems, at least not for me. It happened 3 times while I was trying to type this response and I had to go to another computer. I suppose I am trying to understand when the Blue Screens did not occur in the first two builds, what did they change to make them happen in this one.

Why not post the dump files Clark? We could have a quick look see and see if anything obvious is cropping up?

OK, but I haven't been able to gain any insight. There is someone named Gabriel Aul who seems to have a twitter account and mentioned the item below. He says Microsoft is looking into the situation.

its a processor specific machine_check_exception caused by a shared address violation in L3 cache .

I was hopeful the mentioned update would solve the problem, and although it seems to have had some effect, the Blue Screens are still occurring. I have stopped the insider program until I get some word the situation has been resolved, or a possible solution has been published.

Thanks

Attachments

• 112514-22484-01.dmp
    168.4 KB · Views: 298
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffe00078a4d028, be200000, b110a}

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Followup: MachineOwner
Yup that's a machine check exception alright. If what Gabriel say's is true then little can be done until they change whatever it is that's causing the exception in the L3 cache.
On a personal level that's the first driver stack I've seen where everything is bang up to date and a nice row of 2014 drivers. It was lovely to see... :)
I looked to see if anything else may have an influence on the BSOD but as you know everything is as it should be. Let's hope they make their changes soon and release the update.

(nice motherboard too)

I just installed my PCIe SSD yesterday. I have not yet done any performance testing, but I will assume it is fairly fast. It is a Samsung XP941, 4 channel PCIe 2.0 device and seems to be working fine. I was hoping they would release a PCIe 3.0 device, but I have not yet seen one.

Thanks for checking....

Now that IS stange.

Today, when I booted up, I found I only had one picture for my log in. Until now there have been two. I cannot see any updates that could have changed this.

I've not been running with netplwiz enabled...I'll try it now.

Not something to worry about, I guess, but I have been investigating this "phenomena".

After examining my event viewer, I could see that the last thing I messed with was the log in options. This was after a discussion with Andrea.
This is what I found. I had disabled my auto log in and gone back to manual - One picture.
I re enabled the auto log in - two pictures again, which, fwiw, I cannot reverse now. I am having another look around now, to see if I had done anything else which happened coincidentally.

To be honest David this bug has been known about for a while. Like you say, on manual log in all is as it should be. Using auto or the netplwiz command somehow creates two photo's when logging in. I'm pretty sure it didn't do it in build 9841 but from 9860 onwards it's been happening. Anyway come late January we'll have the consumer version to play with maybe it will be fixed.

Back