Windows 10 Upgraded to Windows 10. Nothing is working, Everything is wrong.

RetroRampage

Okay, as the title says, I upgraded. But there's a problem: Nothing on this OS seems to be working.
Explorer.exe constantly crashes, and a couple of hours ago, the computer itself just froze entirely, with me not even able to do ANYTHING. I fixed the freezing by updating my graphics drivers, but there's still so many problems.

Sometimes while booting, it will be completely black, but my cursor is still there, so I have to manually go into task manager to open explorer. Even now, none of the icons on my taskbar work. Sometimes they highlight like normal when hovered over, but when clicked they do nothing. The only way I can get into anything is to click on a folder on my desktop, and navigate to the app I want that way. My computer is over twice as slow as it was before, even though right now I'm only doing very simple things, like navigating through folders.
And just now, while typing this, my computer bluescreened, with the error "Critical Process died"
I really need some help right now. I use my computer pretty much all day, and kind of need it.

Actually you don't need one. If you upgraded first then the key is stored online and you simply need to press skip when asked.

Last edited:
Windows 10 is an absolute nightmare for sure!
Even 'My computer" doesn't work.. - When I click on 'File Explorer' = instead of showing me my drives it says 'working on it :(

Windows 10 is an absolute nightmare for sure!
Even 'My computer" doesn't work.. - When I click on 'File Explorer' = instead of showing me my drives it says 'working on it :(
First of all this is not Microsoft, here you will find just other users trying to help.

Your system must be doing something when you are waiting. Please hit Ctrl - Alt and Del to go to the Taskmananger (I am on a non-English version, translations may be not accurate, sometimes even plain wrong -- sorry).
Is your system spending its time on some 'exploded' process?
Is it waiting on disk transfers?
Maybe spending all its time on an virus scan?
Being busy with an upgrade?
It must be doing something. Please tell us more.

Henk

..... But it seems to struggle with multiple browser tabs....
Does it try to load pages from the network? Or what tabs are you referring to?

.... moving files of data....
Are you moving files across your network or are you moving files across one or more harddisks?
Have you recently defragment your harddisk or is it perhaps an SSD?
(May be we have to check your disk speed at later a point...)

Is your virtual memory still set to automaticly managed?

Henk

Last edited:
These are brand new hard drives.
Even my C drive is brand new. so no, it isn't a hard drive issue, as well as everything working fine and files transfering exceptionally fast in Windows 7.

There has to be a fix, I just don't know why I'm not finding it

Upgrading in my opinion is probably one of the worst ways of updating an os but I also understand that in some cases it's simply easier to use. The actual process itself can often mess with system files, drivers as well as games.
So in your case what was a pretty nimble machine has now been brought to a crawl by the upgrade process itself. Often if one updates or even re-installs the drivers as well as certain applications you can claw some performance back.
You can also do an advanced disk clean which can sometimes help. Open an admin command prompt and type:
cleanmgr/sageset:1
Press enter and you'll see a Disk clean box appear with many more checkboxes than the usual version. This will also allow you to remove the windows.old folder if you so desire by making sure previous installs is checked. Once you've checked off the settings you want click ok and it will disappear. Now it's set up all you need to do is to run it. So again with an admin command prompt, type:
cleanmgr/sagerun:1
Press enter and it will cycle.

This along with re-installing/updating a few things can make the os run somewhat smoother.

Would that remove the option to rollback though? I'm still within the first month.
Would you suggest I simply roll it back?
At this point??

"Upgrading in my opinion is probably one of the worst ways of updating an os but I also understand that in some cases it's simply easier to use. The actual process itself can often mess with system files, drivers as well as games.
So in your case what was a pretty nimble machine has now been brought to a crawl by the upgrade process itself. Often if one updates or even re-installs the drivers as well as certain applications you can claw some performance back.
You can also do an advanced disk clean which can sometimes help. Open an admin command prompt and type:
cleanmgr/sageset:1
Press enter and you'll see a Disk clean box appear with many more checkboxes than the usual version. This will also allow you to remove the windows.old folder if you so desire by making sure previous installs is checked. Once you've checked off the settings you want click ok and it will disappear. Now it's set up all you need to do is to run it. So again with an admin command prompt, type:
cleanmgr/sagerun:1
Press enter and it will cycle.

This along with re-installing/updating a few things can make the os run somewhat smoother."

Would that remove the option to rollback though? I'm still within the first month.
This is correct. As to whether you should roll back or not I would say depends on your driver support. If you do not have any drivers which are Windows 10 compatible then it might be better to roll back and wait until better driver support is available. You do have a year in which to upgrade and still get the freebie so patience might pay off here?

Back