Windows 7 Upgrading from Vista to Win7 (colour display issues)

drush9

Hi all,

I'm at my wits end while trying to upgrade to Windows 7.

I'd previously had Vista Home Premium 64bit installed, and everything was fine apart from loading speeds, odd crashes etc. I bought a student edition copy of Windows 7 Professional (64bit) from software for students.com. I did a check to see if the pc was good to go with a windows 7 update tool, and had no errors. Also checked if it was compatible going from home premium to professional. And all was good on that front.

Ok, so i bought the bootable disk, and put it in the pc ready to install. All goes well until the last part where it copies over files from previous windows, and then the display goes from normal to a green/yellow. White is no longer white, more a yellow, and all reds and blues all become a wash of greeny yellows too.

The installation completes, and no driver updates for either graphics, display or windows updates remedies this.

I've tried printing screen and emailing to my iphone, and the display is perfect!

I've reinstalled twice, and again all colours are bang on until the same point in the install, and then it reverts to the yellow/green display.

I've now just tried a clean install deleting the old partition, and surprise surprise its gone green/yellow again.

It can't surely be the monitor if all boot up screens and during installation is displayed correctly can it?

Same goes for drivers?

Searched high and low on the web and this forum for anyone experiencing the same problem, yet nothing is available.

Any help or guidance would be extremely welcome,

Many thanks.

Hi Drush,

please list your system spec and if your running with the latest bios ect..

Hi Drush,

please list your system spec and if your running with the latest bios ect..

Hi Kemical,

I've done some checks and my motherboard BIOS is two versions out of date.

I'm currently running release V12 for IX38 QuadGT, when V14 is the latest. This was released in mid 2008, so i'm not sure if it'll remedy the problem.

I hope it won't as i'm not too confident in re-flashing. :(

My system specs are:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1253MB used, 6933MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 280
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E1&SUBSYS_055710DE&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2796 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: XA7-19i
Monitor Id: XER95B2
Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.7061 (English)
Driver Version: 8.17.12.7061
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/8/2011 06:14:00, 12934248 bytes

-------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response.

Again, any help will be much appreciated.

I don't know if that will solve your problem or not but I would definitely update you bios as it will save you other problems down the road. To give you an idea of what I am talking about, I had bought a new printer and everything worked great for about six months. All of a sudden I would get BSOD when using it. I went looking for new drivers and the only update I found was my bios needing upgraded. I went ahead and updated the bios and have not had any problems since. That has been almost two years ago. That computer is not my main computer but I do use it from time to time. I bought a new computer a few months ago and when checking and updating drivers, I also had an update for the bios. I went ahead and updated. Even new computers may need updates from the git go. Good luck and I hope that by updating your bios that will solve your problem.

Hi Drush,
apologies for not replying sooner. As Sonny points out it's always best to have your hardware running with the latest updates. Any trouble shooting would be called into question if firmware/Bios/Drivers were not current.
I must also point out (as did Sonny) that the bios update might not be the cure but at least it's a good place to start.. If your unsure on how to proceed please post back.

Hi,
I've been looking at how to upgrade my BIOS, and very unsure how is best. I dont have a floppy drive, so that rules out booting from floppy.

Had a look at peoples experiences doing it via a program directly from windows and that too doesnt fill me with confidence as there are very mixed reviews.

I think this only leaves me with loading the files onto a USB pen stick and trying that way. However the files on the update which i got from the abit website (see first post for version) don't seem to tie up with what other users have used when doing this proceedure.

Any help or guidance on how to update the BIOS with my setup specifically would be
brilliant.

Many thanks again for your time.

Hi Drush,

as I'm unfamiliar with your motherboard I would suggest trying a forum more dedicated to your hardware. I'd hate to give you the wrong bit of advice especially as bios flashing needs to be done correctly first time around.
Try here (they even have a thread dedicated to your board)

abit.care@HEXUS - HEXUS.community discussion forums

Hi,

I've finally upgraded my BIOS to v14 (latest available), and there's still no change.

The new difference however is the splash screen on boot up is now also washed out, as windows is. However through the bios update flash screen, all colours were as normal, which again makes me realise the monitor is not broken or whatever.

I'm 100% sure it's due to a setting within Windows 7, be it driver or something else.

Can anyone shed any light onto anything else which may be causing this?

Many thanks.

Back