Windows Vista Very slow network/internet?

jasonw

Ok so I got my new internet installed yesterday. Its 13mbps cable with a static IP. The problem is I have 4 computers "2 laptops, desktop and server" running through a WRT56gs router. All machines run great but the Vista premium desktop dose not. If I goto a web page it takes forever "looking for site" once the site is found the modem revs up and everything is good. I disabled IPV6 as per my ISP but this did not resolve the problem. Any suggestions?

Could be any number of things. I would start with IE 8 and disable all add ons one by one to make sure one of those is not the culprit. Then check windows updates and make sure you have all the latest updates important and recommend and optional if you want. I accept all. Then reboot and check for issue. If it still persists the next step is to check for bugs, run all your malware, spyware, adware software you have along with a virus scan. Then defrag hard drive and registry and reboot and then check if you still have your issue. If your still have an issue try resetting IE 8, you can find that in tools, internet options, advanced and reset tab at bottom. let us know what you find out.

bassfisher6522. I don't use IE, I use Firefox but I disabled all the add ons. I have done everything ells but the problem remains.

Celestra. How would I go about doing this?

Hi Jasonw, good to see you again...:)

Have you checked the machine for malware/virus's?

It appears every time I restart autotuning resets itself. I did everything It said to do. Here is a screen shot.

Hi Jasonw, good to see you again...:)

Have you checked the machine for malware/virus's?

Good to be back again. Honestly though I hate to be here because it means I have a problem I can not fix LOL:) Anyway AVG, Adaware, Windows Defender and my HP health adviser all report no problems.

Use these also in conjunction with what you have as well. They can be found at cnet.com/downloads and they are free. Some will find stuff that another program might miss.

Malwarebytes Anti Malware
Spybot search and destroy
Ccleaner
Advance System Care 3 (all in one utilities program)

Ccleaner and SSD realy did a job on my performance. I don't remember exactly what they did but it was bad enough for me to remove them. I will look into those others

Ok so for just chits and giggles I just got done running CC and SSD. For GP I went ahead and ran them on the server as well. Everything checks out ok.

Dose it matter that I don't use IE? I tested to see if it hangs up to and it dose but I never use it.

All anti virus, spy ware, firewall and all other security off and the problem remains. I am so so lost. I wish this computer came with a "restore to defaults" like all my other computers.

Up To Date

Sometimes a slightly bad router can cause problems, is everything up to date? (Drivers and Firmware)

You might even try a different router if that does nothing....

Thats true Celestra.. I updated the firmware on my router the other day perhaps doing the same (check for new firmware) my help?

Ok so I took the router back. Because wireless is important to me in my office I exchanged it for a wireless N router. Got it all set up and the problem remained. Then I said screw it, found out how to rest the computer to the factory settings and all problems are fixed now. My windows update is lagging but that's all.

That was going to be my last suggestion, reformat by doing a system recovery. It's a last ditch effort but it will most certainly fix the problem. The only down side to this fix is that you want every find out the cause/solution of the problem. Then again we may never know. I have had to do the same thing that you just did, I think we all have at some point. Best of luck to you and do hit us back with any more issues that might occur, of course, keeping our fingers crossed that nothing else does occur.

Back