Windows 7 Vista Home premium to Win 7 prof.... sound problems

Bo Boutwell

Now that I've upgraded to windows 7. My sound is not nearly as good as what it was. It sounds like my built in subwoofer under my laptop is just not even working. ((HP laptop by the way)). I'm not sure what to do... play music/games/movies sounds awful now since there is hardly any bass.

Bo;
Hello and welcome to the forums.
Please attempt to determine the exact manufacturer, model name and number of your sound card and then go to that manufacturer's website and download the latest available device driver for that card. Hopefully a Windows 7 driver, but in a pinch a Vista driver might suffice.

Thanks but I'm having trouble finding the exact make. Under my Device Manager page/under my Sound,video and game controllers it only says "high definition audio device". not a make or model.

Open device manager, expand the sound category, right click the problem device and choose properties. Select the detail tab and change the drop down to Device Ids. Right click the value box and choose select all, right click again and choose copy. Paste the results into your next post and we'll see if we can determine what you have installed.

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100

there wasn't a "device id" selection. Only a "hardware id" selection.

Sorry, that looks like an "ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio", which is probably likely associated with your video card, and may or may not be the actual problem device.
What laptop are we talking about here? Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number complete with any hyphens underscores or special characters.
We'll see if we can dig up anything else.
Are you seeing any problem devices or unknown devices in device manager, have you gone to the laptop manufacturer's website to see what they have available in the way of chipset, video and audio drivers for your model for Windows 7. Depending on the age of the system you may have some issues getting older legacy devices to work with Windows 7 but
Keep us posted
Randy

Now that I've upgraded to windows 7. My sound is not nearly as good as what it was. It sounds like my built in subwoofer under my laptop is just not even working. ((HP laptop by the way)). I'm not sure what to do... play music/games/movies sounds awful now since there is hardly any bass.
A built in subwoofer?
There isn't enough room in a laptop for an effective built in subwoofer.
Are you referring to an external USB device?
If in fact you do have a large speaker underneath and a part of your laptop then maybe there is a software setting that needs to be set.

Last edited:
Hi

Right click on the desktop.
Select Personalize.
Select Sound at the bottom of the page.
Select the Playback Tab.

Look and see if there are options to use external speakers.

On mine I have to switch from speakers to HDMI when I want to output to my stereo.
Maybe there is something of that sort that activates your external speakers.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom