Windows Vista Vista Install freezes on first Blue/Green Screen

craymo1

Just completed a new build and booted from Vista 64 Home premium. Get through the black screen where it has a progress bar stating loading windows files. Next screen is the Microsoft icon screen. It then loads to a Blue/Green screen, the DVD activity stops, my cursor appears but the system just hangs at this point. Have let it go for 10 minutes or so and have tried multiple times. My memory and Hard drives appear correctly in the bios. I have tried removing any USB devices, disabled my 3.5" drive in the bios but all have the same result. Any thoughts? Below are my system specs:

Intel Core i7 920
Biostar TpowerX58 1366
Vista Home Premium 64 bit
Gskill 3x2G DDR3 1600
WD Caviar 1TB Sata (unformatted)
EVGA GTX 260 -896MB

I have Tri-Channel memory so I dont think it will work with just one stick. Update: I let it sit for about an hour and finally it got the first screen. I chose my region, entered the product key, and chose my blank HD for install. It got to the "Extracting files progress bar" and took over 3 HOURS to complete. After reboot it got stuck at a black screen.

Tried flashing my bios to updated version, disabled USB devices and tried to boot from DVD again. Same story. During the extraction part it just hangs for about 20-30 minutes between each 12% or progress, no DVD or HD activity happens. Somthing must be wrong. Any other thoughts?

The only other thing I can think of is that you've got a dud disk or the dvd player isn't connected properly.. I'd go through your connections and double check

Oh and by the way your system will boot with only one stick in as tri channel means thats the optimum way to run the RAM but as I said, try it and see..

Well, tried one memory stick. Same issue. Borrowed a friends Vista disk, same issue. Tried isntalling XP and it worked fine, no issues at all with the DVD drive. Swapped out a new HD and same thing. I am at a total loss. Is there anything specific to 64 bit that could cause this?

I have to admit that like you I'm at a loss to explain why your getting this problem... You say that you flashed the bios to the latest version...yes?

Ok...I've been looking through google and it seems your motherboard may not like running your RAM at the default speed of 1600 at first. You may have to run it at a lower speed until you've got it running ok.. I copied this from a review in newegg:
Pros: Board runs solid and stable, with only a few hours of tweaking I was able to get my i7 920 up to 4.0ghz and my memory at 1600mhz. Also, the onboard cooling solutions is very well designed. Bios flashing is also quite easy, and there is a lot of support for this board at rebels haven web site.(link below)
Cons: The early bios releases didn't support memory speeds of 1333 or 1600 with a 920 or 940. Later releases have fixed that issue but there is still a moderate amount of tweaking required to hit 1600mhz on the memory.

I found this thread which may help:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Here's a site dedicated for that mobo:

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=49

Sorry I can't help you with an exact solution but perhaps the answer lies in the above links...

In the meantime I'll keep my eye's open for a solution..

Good luck and please let me know how you get on..

Well, tried one memory stick. Same issue. Borrowed a friends Vista disk, same issue. Tried isntalling XP and it worked fine, no issues at all with the DVD drive. Swapped out a new HD and same thing. I am at a total loss. Is there anything specific to 64 bit that could cause this?

yeah post back if you find the solution. I am having the same problem with windows 7 and with a Ausus board. I have tried vista and same thing.

Back