admiralspock

Hi, Just installed the RC on my HP laptop a few days ago. I wanted to access my documents folder on my Vista partition, so I clicked through to "Continue to access this folder." Didn't think anything of it. Then, when I went to log back into Vista, I couldn't access my actual user profile. Every time I log in under Vista it loads a temporary profile, which I can't do anything because drivers try to install at the same time as if it is a new account.

I tried editing permissions but I don't know what I am doing as I am only familiar with Vista Home Premium/XP Home. 7 Ultimate, I'm assuming, gives me a lot more options than home editions ever would. I searched the forum and did not find anything similar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Solution
It sounds like you are facing an issue with accessing your user profile on your Vista partition after trying to access your documents folder from a Windows 7 Ultimate installation. This kind of issue can occur when there are conflicts with permissions or user profiles between different Windows versions. To address this problem, you can try the following steps:
  1. Check User Profile Settings:
    • Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts.
    • Select "Manage another account" and see if your original user account still exists.
    []Registry Edit:
    • Edit the registry to fix the user profile issue.
    • Here are the general steps:
      • Press Win + R, type "regedit," and hit Enter...
It sounds like you are facing an issue with accessing your user profile on your Vista partition after trying to access your documents folder from a Windows 7 Ultimate installation. This kind of issue can occur when there are conflicts with permissions or user profiles between different Windows versions. To address this problem, you can try the following steps:
  1. Check User Profile Settings:
    • Go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts.
    • Select "Manage another account" and see if your original user account still exists.
    []Registry Edit:
    • Edit the registry to fix the user profile issue.
    • Here are the general steps:
      • Press Win + R, type "regedit," and hit Enter.
      • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList.
      • Look for the SID corresponding to your problematic user profile and delete the entry.
    [
    ]Check Permissions:
    • Right-click on the folder containing your Vista user profile and go to Properties.
    • Navigate to the Security tab and ensure that the correct user account has full control over the folder.
    []System Restore:
    • If the issue persists, consider using System Restore to roll back to a point before the user profile problem occurred.
    [
    ]Boot from Installation Media:
    • You can also boot from the Vista installation media and attempt to repair the user profile from there. Given that you are more familiar with Vista Home Premium/XP Home, these steps might seem a bit technical. If you're unsure at any point, it may be best to seek assistance from someone with more experience in handling such profile issues, especially when dealing with multiple Windows versions. Let me know if you need further guidance or if you run into any specific roadblocks during these steps!

Solution
Back