Windows 8 VSS cannot be initialized for backup

Georgey

Honorable Member
Hi,

I try to make a disaster recovery backup by Farstone Total Recovery. It consistently fails to start, the error message says that it cannot initialize VSS. It also says to run Chkdsk then try again, but then it's the same.

I've checked that Volume Shadow Copy among the Services is set to start 'Automatic' and is running.

How to fix it?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I am on Windows 7 right now, but the VSS is set to a manual start on my system.

Are you seeing any messages in the Event Viewer concerning the service?

I am not familiar with that backup software, but do you have boot media you could use to make the backup?

Have you tried a partial backup in case one partition is causing problems, if you have such a setting?

I have seen the Windows 8 backup utility (named using the Windows 7 designation) have a problem with Volume Shadow Copies if one partition does not have room to make such a copy. A message concerning limited space is usually generated. I do not know if this is what might be happening with you, but have you tried the imaging utility built into Windows 8?

Initially my VSS was set to start manual too, but at a similar problem (on Windows 7) I was advised to set it automatic; then it helped.

Sorry, I don't know Event Viewer, how can I see it?

Boot media is not used to make the backup. It is for restoration in case the OS is down.

I tried all variations to backup selected partitions.

I try to backup selected partitions from my internal hard-disk to an external one, so space cannot be a problem.
I don't know the built in imaging utility, how can I use it?

Initially my VSS was set to start manual too, but at a similar problem (on Windows 7) I was advised to set it automatic; then it helped.
Not sure what type of problem you were having but I have never needed to do that. Perhaps the same type of situation is involved here.

Sorry, I don't know Event Viewer, how can I see it?
Use Winkey+X to open the menu, then select Event Viewer. It is a place you can view the various logs on the system, and one of the error or warning messages might contain information about the VSS service. If it does, the info might be helpful.

Boot media is not used to make the backup. It is for restoration in case the OS is down.
Many imaging programs will have a way to use them from some type of boot media. If yours does, it might be able to create the backup image without needing the VSS service.

I try to backup selected partitions from my internal hard-disk to an external one, so space cannot be a problem.
I don't know the built in imaging utility, how can I use it?
The "Space" being referred to is free space on a partition needed for making backup shadow copies. If there is not enough space, it will not work. Perhaps a picture of your Disk Management window showing the partitions and the info about free space might help. Use the snipping tool to take the picture and attach using the image icon at the top of the reply window.

The Backup utility in Windows 8, which is going away with 8.1, is in the Control Panel listed as "Windows 7 File Recovery". It will create backup images and restore back exactly as they were made. Some folks don't like it because it has limited options, but you could try it for testing. You can open the Control Panel by right clicking in the lower left corner then selecting it - same menu as Winkey+X.

Thank you this is a lot of obviously useful information to me.

The solution to this particular problem was this:
a. To re-register VSS by the program found here
http://www.tomahawkbackup.com/faq/c...-shadow-copy-service-vss-troubleshooting.html
under VSS Repair Strategy #4. Although this is for Windows 7 / 2008, it apparently worked.
b. To set 'Volume Shadow Copy' service's Startup type Automatic. I found this idea earlier, when it helped itself, here
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=288599

Glad you got it working. I will keep your solution in mind, but I wonder what might have corrupted the registration in the first place.

It is, of course, not my solution, I found it ready made.
I do not have the faintest idea what could have gone wrong with the registration either. I use AVG PC tuneup, clean and defrag the registry regularly.

Back