Windows 10 "We couldn't complete the updates..."

This is not a repair! The link I supplied is a in-place-repair-upgrade. It works great and as I stated, it is recommended by Shawn Brink instead of the W10 reset feature. Why are we are talking Magical Jelly Bean to find a key. As long as you don't change the mother board on that PC, you can reinstall W10 as often as you want. The key has been recorded by MS. This upgrade to W10 is a new ball game. Please do not confuse the OP with suggestions that they don't need! We are talking about W10!;)
Thank you!

Holdum, I tried the in place upgrade, and I get this error:

0x800F0830 - 0x20003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Again, I have upgraded to Windows 10 without any problem, but I can't install the update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3156421).

I find it hard to believe the only solution is to wipe out my hard drive and start over.

OK Great Texas! The next thing I would recommend it try this by @kemical and see where this takes us. Thanks for your reply;):up:
Let me know how things go. This will take awhile. I will watch for your next reply!
Try running these scans too:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

This is not a repair! The link I supplied is a in-place-repair-upgrade. It works great and as I stated, it is recommended by Shawn Brink instead of the W10 reset feature. Why are we are talking Magical Jelly Bean to find a key. As long as you don't change the mother board on that PC, you can reinstall W10 as often as you want. The key has been recorded by MS. This upgrade to W10 is a new ball game. Please do not confuse the OP with suggestions that they don't need! We are talking about W10!;)
Thank you!
It is a repair call it what you like but they seldom work anyway and I am talking about Windows 10. He is afraid of losing his installed MS Office so maybe you don't know what Magical Jelly Beans does but it can give you the Product Code for Ms Office so if he loses it he can reinstall by access to a product dvd and this will give him the product code needed to use it and activate it. Belarc Advisor could do the same thing but it isa m ore complicated time consuming program to use for one simple code.

Holdum, I tried the in place upgrade, and I get this error:

0x800F0830 - 0x20003
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation

Again, I have upgraded to Windows 10 without any problem, but I can't install the update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3156421).

I find it hard to believe the only solution is to wipe out my hard drive and start over.

Well if your install is corrupted, you may well have to do so to get it right, and it does sound like it is.

Hey Texas! good luck friend! I'm out of here!:clover::clover: If you're going to wipe your hard drive and start over as advised by other members, then create a back up image, so you can at least get back to where you are now if it that doesn't work.
Good luck!

Hey Holdum!

I ran the first scan, and it said, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I ran the second sand, and it said, "The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully."

Well if your install is corrupted, you may well have to do so to get it right, and it does sound like it is.

I already installed Windows 10 with no problems. It was an update that had a problem. Why would the in place upgrade get corrupted when I have already installed Windows 10 successfully?

Hi friend! It's good to hear you had no violations.;) Thanks for your reply!:up:
Have you tried to install the updates with your AV disabled?? Just shooting in the dark.
This is my last reply to your thread! Good luck with your issue. Give this link a look!
Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10

Hi,
if you recently upgraded that computer to Windows 10 then you won't receive or be able to install the November update or KB3156421 until after 31days. This is to allow you time to go back to the old os if need be.

I already installed Windows 10 with no problems. It was an update that had a problem. Why would the in place upgrade get corrupted when I have already installed Windows 10 successfully?
Well Windows can be corrupted at any time but we can't assume that the install wasn't corrupted because so early on you have issues with it, and this upgrade is not something that works easily. I have plenty of clients whose pcs lost ability to connect to the internet or had printers fail to work and video issues all of which caused almost a hundred users to go back to earlier version of Windows within days of their upgrade. As a matter of fact only 2 out of 100 remained with Windows 10 from an upgrade among my clients.

There will always be haters and doubters of W10. 2 out of a 100 seems a little high to me! You upgraded 3 PC's and only have a problem with one of them. Maybe the up dates will install latter as @kemical suggested. Did you upgrade them all at the same time and have you tried the windows reset that I posted in post #49 yet!;) I don't know this for sure, but if no violations were found when you ran a sfc /scannow that would be a good sign that your windows files are good. If there would have been violations that couldn't be fixed, then we have a problem.
Keep us posted on your progress. I still say I would create a back up image of the OS you have now, and that way you can try other things and at least get back to where you are now.;):D

Windows 10 - Microsoft

Sometimes you may have an issue with Windows Update such as not being able to download or install updates, error messages, not being able to search for new updates, etc. These kind of issues can occur when the Windows Update database or components are corrupted, one or more services related to Windows Update are not running, etc.

Resetting the Windows Update components and history can usually solve these types of issues.

This tutorial will show how you how to reset and reregister Windows Update components and history in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator
to be able to reset Windows Update.

Last edited:
You can try to manually delete the update cache and attempt an update after.
  • Press Windows key + r
  • Type services.msc
  • Stop Windows update and Background Intelligent Transfer
  • Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
  • Re-enable Windows Update service
  • Check for update.
  • If it still fails, open a powershell prompt and type Get-WindowsUpdateLog -LogPath "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\log.txt"
  • Upload the log.txt for analysis

You can try to manually delete the update cache and attempt an update after.
  • Press Windows key + r
  • Type services.msc
  • Stop Windows update and Background Intelligent Transfer
  • Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
  • Re-enable Windows Update service
  • Check for update.
  • If it still fails, open a powershell prompt and type Get-WindowsUpdateLog -LogPath "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\log.txt"
  • Upload the log.txt for analysis

Hey Neemobeer,

I followed your instructions and still have the problem.

I updated the log file for your review.

Is it possible this issue is related to users? I have seen some articles which suggest that. This is an old work computer. I tried to uninstall ESET after the subscription ran out, but I couldn't due to admin permissions. So, I had to make some user profile changes on the computer and then, that's when this problem seemed to start.

Thanks!

Attachments

• log.txt
    143.3 KB · Views: 689
Anything is possible. The errors in the log indicate the data coming in is in an invalid format (corrupted) so it could be ESET doing that since most AV use a network filter driver.

Hi Holdum, no, I have not resorted to Reset (or Refresh) yet because I don't want to lose my Office programs.

Last edited:
Back