Windows 7 Weirdest Crash I've Ever Experienced

DJC

For the past two days my computer has been crashing in the weirdest ways. I'm currently in safemode and everything runs fine. It started shortly after I finished transferring over a large batch (about 30GBs) of camera footage onto my external hard drive from a coworkers external hard drive so I could edit it. I don't know if that's the root of the problem but right after it finished transferring, my computer crashed for the first time.

First the screen goes crazy, there'll be lines of different colored pixels strewn haphazardly across the screen and then I'll get the blue screen of death and a physical memory dump. I'll restart my computer and the same thing happens usually at the black screen with the windows logo that says "Starting Windows" or the log in screen. Sometimes the computer will start up all the way first before crashing but that's rare. (I've also noticed that it'll crash quicker if it's been off for a shorter amount of time. So if I leave it off for several hours it'll last longer before crashing).

I don't think it's a hardware issue since safe mode runs perfectly. I tried a system restore to the day before it started crashing but that didn't fix it. I've run the malwarebytes utility to scan for a virus but it just finds some tracking cookies and the like. I'm about to run a full scan using it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd love any help I could get.

(Oh and it's a Lenovo T61 running Windows 7 Home. 2GB of Ram and plenty of hard disk space remaining)

For the past two days my computer has been crashing in the weirdest ways. I'm currently in safemode and everything runs fine. It started shortly after I finished transferring over a large batch (about 30GBs) of camera footage onto my external hard drive from a coworkers external hard drive so I could edit it. I don't know if that's the root of the problem but right after it finished transferring, my computer crashed for the first time.

First the screen goes crazy, there'll be lines of different colored pixels strewn haphazardly across the screen and then I'll get the blue screen of death and a physical memory dump. I'll restart my computer and the same thing happens usually at the black screen with the windows logo that says "Starting Windows" or the log in screen. Sometimes the computer will start up all the way first before crashing but that's rare. (I've also noticed that it'll crash quicker if it's been off for a shorter amount of time. So if I leave it off for several hours it'll last longer before crashing).

I don't think it's a hardware issue since safe mode runs perfectly. I tried a system restore to the day before it started crashing but that didn't fix it. I've run the malwarebytes utility to scan for a virus but it just finds some tracking cookies and the like. I'm about to run a full scan using it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd love any help I could get.

(Oh and it's a Lenovo T61 running Windows 7 Home. 2GB of Ram and plenty of hard disk space remaining)

hiya and welcome to the forum , please follow the instructions found here << and someone will try to help you :razz:

I included the two DMP files and a third file "witycv" that I didn't recognize but it's not a DMP.

Attachments

• BSOD DMP.zip
    35 KB · Views: 158
I included the two DMP files and a third file "witycv" that I didn't recognize but it's not a DMP.

your version of Symantec Internet Security suite is from 2007 and is very likely causing crashes and other strange behavior so i suggest unninstall it then remove it completely using the Norton removal tool and replace with Link Removed due to 404 Error and just use windows for your firewall, or get the latest version of Norton written to work with windows 7 ?

this driver
dne2000.sys 0x972ac000 0x972cae00 0x0001ee00 0x48b60be6 28/08/2008 03:22:30
used by certain VPN Client Softwares > Cisco, Sonicwall, etc is old and needs updating as it could be causing crashes ?

you also have a set of drivers installed for your Conexant Systems, Inc soft56k Modem Driver which I doubt you ever use, I suggest unninstall the device in device manager then disable it in your bios to stop it loading any drivers ?

let us know how it goes :razz:

Anytime you get something from another computer, I would think of a possible virus...

If you did catch something, it may take more than one scan by different AV programs to get rid of it...

your version of Symantec Internet Security suite is from 2007 and is very likely causing crashes and other strange behavior so i suggest unninstall it then remove it completely using the Norton removal tool and replace with Link Removed due to 404 Error and just use windows for your firewall, or get the latest version of Norton written to work with windows 7 ?

this driver used by certain VPN Client Softwares > Cisco, Sonicwall, etc is old and needs updating as it could be causing crashes ?

you also have a set of drivers installed for your Conexant Systems, Inc soft56k Modem Driver which I doubt you ever use, I suggest unninstall the device in device manager then disable it in your bios to stop it loading any drivers ?

let us know how it goes :razz:

I've had all of those for a long time but I did install a Windows update shortly before it started crashing. I went to uninstall symantec and the VPN client (Cisco) and I received an error message notifying me that the windows installer isn't available for whatever reason and to try reinstalling it.

I find it somewhat odd that I can run safe mode with no problems whatsoever. I know I mentioned this earlier, but right before the BSOD pops up, the screen goes all crazy and scrambled. The VPN client, symantec, and the modem have been running error free since I upgraded to Windows 7 (clean install) so I don't think it's them, but then again you guys are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Do you think I should try reinstalling Windows installer. I have no clue how to go about doing that.

Back