Windows 7 What version to buy???

jsabol

I have been kicking the idea of upgrading to Win7, but can't get a handle as to what I need to buy. I miss the old days. One box for all your needs. Now I don't know if I need OEM, retail, upgrade, family pack :confused:.

A little background. I have three systems A,B, and C. I want to put Win7 Home prem. 64bit on all.
System A is a desktop running 32bit XP home.
System B is a laptop running 32bit Vista.
System C is a laptop running 32bit Win7 home prem.

Is there one Windows product that will satisfy my needs?
Thank you for your help.

First thing to ask, are all 3 64 Bit compatible? One method is to check Control Panel, Device Manager:

64BitCompatible.jpg

Or you could check with each PC manufacturer specs for this info.

If the Win 7 laptop came pre-installed with Win 7 HP 32 Bit, it is most likely an OEM key. You will not be able to use this key with a 64 Bit installation. I almost suspect this PC may not be 64 Bit compatible as most PC's that are 64 Bit compatible will have 64 Bit Win 7 pre-installed. If it is an upgrade, then the retail versions of Win 7 have both 32 Bit and 64 Bit available.

MS does have (or did have) a 3 pack retail version available. Check for this.

The only other consideration, Win 7 HP is not compatible with XP Mode. You must have Pro edition or higher. This limitation can be overcome with any number of 3rd party VM's. Also Win 7 HP does not have Bit locker available if this might be a consideration for you.

My laptop has Win 7 Ultimate, my wife's has Win 7 HP. For my purposes at home either would have worked. I have Ultimate only because my wife qulified for Ultimate discout through the university she works at.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. I see there is no short solution to my upgrade plans. By the time I figure out what OS I need, what VM to purchase and how and what files and programs I might lose, I might just go and buy three new systems. It might come out cheaper in time and money or I'll just switch to Apple LOL.

Back