Windows 7 When trying to install Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg

cherrio

Extraordinary Member
I have spent two days on the web reading everything I can find on this subject and have tried many of the suggestions but simply cannot get this update to install. The event viewer has many red errors and some of them say ....

Windows update could not be installed because of error 2147942413 "The data is invalid." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu" ")
ErrorCode 2147942413
ErrorString The data is invalid
CommandLine
"C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu"

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit with SP1 and all updates since 1-1-11. The Mobo is ASUS M5A88-M
with AMD FX-4100 and 8Gb RAM. So far this is the only problem I have been having with software and the PC was put together last weekend. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

OK, I finally got both the "WindowsXPMode_en-us" and the "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg" downloads to implement.

When going to the start, all programs, windows virtual pc, windows xp mode to begin setup, it runs for a long time with the little green bar getting almost to the very end and then I get the message

The only thing I get in the event viewer is a warning " 'Windows XP Mode' was turned off without hibernating state. and sending it to MS yields = "
We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time"

Is there a Win XP set up log somewhere?

xp won't install.jpg

Has the XP mode been working normally on your system? I ask because the package is called Refresh-- not sure really what that means.

There are requirements for the processor as to be able to have virtualization enabled or something like that, does your processor and system meet that requirement? I only set up XP mode once and I don't remember some of the process.

I found the attached info on the web site referenced.

Download Windows XP Mode

Attachments

• XP mode.GIF
    XP mode.GIF
    9.9 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:
This is a fresh mobo build, so no I have not yet gotten XP mode to work. The MS download site asked me to put in os and language and with Win 7 SP1 64 bit English it told me to download
"WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe", 481Mb and
"Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-RefreshPkg.msu", 16.7Mb

The AMD2+ FX4100 and ASUS M5A88-M BIOS v0505 say it should meet the requirement for Virtualization (or whatever they call it). I set the virtual machine mode to enable in the BIOS and downloaded the MS tool to see if it was ready - positive result.

I have set up three other PCs with XP Mode and didn't keep adequate enough notes and it is a mess....I cannot remember how I finally got them to install and operate. To this day my daughter's machine logs into XP Mode differently than mine and I have no clue why they are different.

I just downloaded and setup up XP mode on my system. As you noted, you were asked for specifics about your system, so I will guess you cannot use a file downloaded on another computer, since XP is basically a licensed copy. Not saying you are, just making a point.

I installed the XP mode first then double clicked the KB958559 Update to start its standalone install. Everything went fine, I was asked to reboot and then I completed the install.

If you are getting a message that seems to indicate corruption in the downloaded file, all I can suggest is to check the anti-virus in case it is interfering with the download.

Back