Where can I enable start menu?

So my mother just got a new windows 8.1 computer and the first thing I saw at the desktop is that she has a start menu button. I want that little thing on my computer too now (my computer is also windows 8.1). But I can't find e where to enable it. Have have installed all the updates but I can't find it anywhere. I know it is not a big thing but now when I have put some effort into finding it, I can't stop.

So where can I get the start menu button? I am talking about the little house icon just so we are clear.

Last edited:
That looks like it to be some 3rd party add-on. The actual start button is the one to the left of the house.

That looks like it to be some 3rd party add-on. The actual start button is the one to the left of the house.
That is the thing. No one have installed anything on the computer yet. I was the one that started the computer for the first time ever.
Also the icon to the left of the start menu icon is the start screen icon.

Yes...you can enable or disable that feature. But that house icon in the task bar is "Not prart" of windows. As indicated in the picture you provided. That's a 3rd party start menu button...whether you intentionally or accidentally (installed with some other software) installed it, it's there. Natively to windows 8/8.1 there is "NO" programs list like that showing in the picture you provided and only and all apps feature. Only with a 3rd party software will you have results like that.

Check your control panel>programs>uninstall programs and see if anything out of the ordinary is in there or that shouldn't be there.

Yes...you can enable or disable that feature. But that house icon in the task bar is "Not prart" of windows. As indicated in the picture you provided. That's a 3rd party start menu button...whether you intentionally or accidentally (installed with some other software) installed it, it's there. Natively to windows 8/8.1 there is "NO" programs list like that showing in the picture you provided and only and all apps feature. Only with a 3rd party software will you have results like that.

Check your control panel>programs>uninstall programs and see if anything out of the ordinary is in there or that shouldn't be there.
Actually you was correct. It was a pokki program. But still, I didn't install it. I have literally not installed a single program. It is so weird it is there, but I like it so it can stay.

Glad we got that sorted....now, pokki is known to cause some issues and install other software so be careful. Personally, I prefer and have Start8 from Stardock (free 30 trial - $4.99 purchase) or Classic Shell, which is completely free. Both are highly recommended.

Classic Shell

Start8

Glad we got that sorted....now, pokki is known to cause some issues and install other software so be careful. Personally, I prefer and have Start8 from Stardock (free 30 trial - $4.99 purchase) or Classic Shell, which is completely free. Both are highly recommended.

Classic Shell

Start8
Ok I will check those out and see which one I will go with. Thanks for all the help!

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.