Windows 10 wHERE HAS MY DISK SPACE GONE ?

Peter H Williams

Hi,
I seen a few posts relating to disks with less space than anticipated - but think I have gone through the suggestions.

I have an older ACER X1301 which has been upgraded to W8 then W10 and with an SSD instead of the HDD. When I installed the SSD I thought I had a 'C' drive with approx 120GB and about 1/2 utilised approx 120gb for a separate data drive. Still works fine but close to retirement !

I recently got warnings saying I was running out of space- so did the norm and deleted temporary files, Recycle bin etc and some files that are created on the C drive by MT4 (Forex trading platform).

I have also listed the 'hidden' files and I appear to have approx 20 gb not accounted for.

Any help appreciated.

W10_Disk_storage.jpg

Last edited:
You may be showing hidden files, but are you showing system? I don't see a page file in your screenshot. Disk Usage will give you a good report of your space utilization. Copy it to your desktop, open a command prompt and change to your desktop then run du -c -v C: >> du_report.csv

You may be showing hidden files, but are you showing system? I don't see a page file in your screenshot. Disk Usage will give you a good report of your space utilization. Copy it to your desktop, open a command prompt and change to your desktop then run du -c -v C: >> du_report.csv

Think I have done as you suggest and had apprx 180 entries in the CSV file which I have copied to USB drive and then deleted but only represented MBs not GBs . Also found some 'Roaming' storage and now have created a further 5 gb of space but still around 20 gb not accounted for.

What started as such a simple task is turning out to be much bigger than I thought !

Attachments

• W10_Disk_storage02.jpg
    W10_Disk_storage02.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 313
Back
Top Bottom