Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Why?? Why wouldn't you just use the excellent security that is embedded in Windows 8 rather than bothering to unnecessarily fetch any 3rd Party item, instead? Just curious...

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Why?? Why wouldn't you just use the excellent security that is embedded in Windows 8 rather than bothering to unnecessarily fetch any 3rd Party item, instead? Just curious...

Cheers,
Drew
View attachment 22253
Perhaps because MS has a poor track record when it comes to her own generic applications that are bundled with the OS: Internet Explorer, PAINT, Disk Defrag, Defender, etc.

Was actually asking the Member, 'iftieaq', who had said they were using Avira. Not wanting to guess @ their reason.

Cheers,
Drew

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with my windows 7, but it started to take forever to update over my high speed connection, and had no other features embedded with it. I now use Zonealarm, which covers my firewall better,protects my personal information, and lets me know if a download is safe before I download it, etc. ...and it honestly automatically updates. I always had to manually update MSE, there was always an update pending. I was going to get windows 8, but the update advisor said i needed a new computer for it, I have a Dell Dimension 8400 in perfect condition for windows 7, at least. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:
I quit using it and went back to Avast. I didn't like the update cycle and poor results they show in tests against other products. As windows 8 becomes more established you can be sure the built in AV is going to be a major target for hackers.
Joe

I found this as I Binged about Windows 8 on a Dell Dimension 8400.

" Dell does not support Win8 on any Dimension series system, so they won't be offering any Win 8 drivers."

Maybe someone can confirm whether this is gospel or not.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials with my windows 7, but it started to take forever to update over my high speed connection, and had no other features embedded with it. I now use Zonealarm, which covers my firewall better,protects my personal information, and lets me know if a download is safe before I download it, etc. ...and it honestly automatically updates. I always had to manually update MSE, there was always an update pending. I was going to get windows 8, but the update advisor said i needed a new computer for it, I have a Dell Dimension 8400 in perfect condition for windows 7, at least. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

... uninstalled Zonealarm, McAfee has a good customized, easy to understand firewall. McAfee takes a little getting used to, but it works well.

I use Avast, not a resource hog, updates daily and good user interface. Also Zone Alarm and Trend Micro. No heavy resource hogs in this bunch. Stopped using Norton, McAfee a long time ago.

I use Avast, not a resource hog, updates daily and good user interface. Also Zone Alarm and Trend Micro. No heavy resource hogs in this bunch. Stopped using Norton, McAfee a long time ago.

yes Avast is good I like the fact that I can control everything on it. I also like AVG free because it cleans up a lot of tracking cookies and I have never had any issues or problems with it.

hey Mitchell A, which is the resource hog. I have and still use both and on my desktop boxes I never have felt a hit on resources. now on my laptops I use panda cloud free. so it don't use resources. poorguy

hey all, I will say this I have tried a lot of the different free antivirus and some I have liked better than others. over the years the free ware that I may have liked and used at one time may have changed and my opinions have also changed and I may or may not be using that free ware anymore. a lot of people like MSE and I used to use it but don't anymore. doesn't matter my choice. try several of the different free antivirus and use which you like and works for your type of web use. bottom line if you have careless web habits then no antivirus will help or keep you safe. I find that COMMON SENSE antivirus is the best antivirus. to bad there ain't a website for that. just my thoughts and personal experience. thanks for the space. poorguy

hey all, I have reread all of these 215 posts on this thread and I have honestly got to agree with what Drew stated in one of his posts. (#185) 10/29/2012 it clearly sums it all up. "each to their own" I have to agree 100%. nobody has to use what anyone else thinks is best, use whatever is best for you. just my thoughts again. thanks for the space. poorguy

Back