Which Anti-Virus do You Use?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by Mitchell_A, Nov 14, 2010.

?

Which AV Do You Use?

1. AVG Internet Security/Anti-virus

29 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. avast!

56 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Norton 360/Internet Security

18 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. McAfee

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Microsoft Security Essentials

70 vote(s)
    32.7%
  6. Trend Micro

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

31 vote(s)
    14.5%
  8. ESET Smart Security/NOD32

18 vote(s)
    8.4%
  9. Other

44 vote(s)
    20.6%
  10. Spybot S&D

7 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

The thing is PUP are often classified differently by every agency, behaviour dependent. MalwareBytes may not see the behaviour as intrusive (although it IS a toolbar, and ALL toolbars are instrusive). That's not an accurate evaluation of detection rates, as a PUP isn't a virus, and we are talking about AV/malware programs here, not potentially unwanted program detectors.

2. Shuftin

Shuftin New Member

I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 in conjuction with PC Tools Firewall Plus (free) and WinPatrol (free). Perfect combination and they work well in harmony with each other. Been virus free for ????? years and years. So-much-so that I don't even think about viruses anymore.

3. Shuftin

Shuftin New Member

Malwarebytes, in the past, has pulled my butt out of a jam on more than one occasion. In fact it was my go-to software. Great software. But running it day-to-day? Their definations are always behind the times. Meaning not much current protection.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mitchell_A

Absolutely - that's always my first resort when cleaning up a client's PC that's completely swamped. MBAM does a fair job of removing non-executed threats, however I find that it usually doesn't do a very good job of terminating/removing threats after a restart. That, in combination with SpyBot and an install of MSE usually do a fine job for me.

5. tanzanos

tanzanos New Member

ESET online scanner found infections that both MB and SB did not detect! I recommend it highly!

6. kurteb

kurteb Senior Member

as a good principle, you of course want to manually update malwarebyte's antimalware just before doing a full scan.

7. kurteb

kurteb Senior Member

at 59.99 for a year (!) - eset is expensive but works well. i've found that mse does what thier's does for alot less :)

8. kurteb

kurteb Senior Member

a great free program to control your startup is Soluto, i use it, free for up to 5 computers.

9. kurteb

kurteb Senior Member

10. Mitchell_A

Wow, I wasn't aware that ESET had a free online scanner. That's great! Their SmartSecurity products are right on par with detection rates. Next time I come across an infection I'll give it a try. :)

#130 Mitchell_A, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. tanzanos

tanzanos New Member

Don't wait; Give it a try and you may be surprised to find out that your machine may be infected already. :)

12. baobinh93

baobinh93 New Member

i used Norton 360/Internet Security. is very good.

13. Drew

Drew Banned

When comes renewal time, save your money. There is better for FREE.

Cheers,
    Drew

14. Mitchell_A

I agree. The last product I bought was AVG 7.5 several years ago. ESET SS5 is the only product on the market I'd even consider paying for at this point in time. There's really not much sense in buying AV products.

15. tanzanos

tanzanos New Member

I agree about ESET. The best by far, free AV is AVAST. An excellent feature of AVAST is the sandbox; Where suspect software is run without risking infection. I used to have MS security essentials but its protection factor is a joke to say the least. I got more infections with MSSE than with Norton and that says a lot. Also although MS claims it is very light I had to uninstall it on my PC because it caused unbelievable lag. But if oyu like MSSE then go for it. Each has his own preferences. Also the support forum of AVAST is the best ever. If you have a problem they will help you unlike Microsoft that sells and forgets. I have yet to receive from MS any help through the years. You should also use the free ESET online scanner once a week to make sure your system is clean. Do this and once a month use DRWEB cureit!

16. Drew

Drew Banned

"There's really not much sense in buying AV products." Exactly, not when there is MSE :)

17. Mitchell_A

Great idea re: weekly scan with ESET online. I've never used avast! extensively so I can't comment on detection rates, but I do like the voice prompts, like "avast virus database has been updated".. Why can't that woman by my housewife !?

18. tanzanos

tanzanos New Member

The free DR WEB CUREIT found 4 infections that Malwarebytes, Avast, ESET, missed. I highly recommend you use it once a fortnight!

19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley New Member

I have used the following for the past three years:
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware

20. tanzanos

tanzanos New Member

Malwarebytes used to be good but it has missed many infections! Try the free DR WEB cureit. Download it and run it when it starts to scan stop it and check the FULL SCAN option and run it again. You may be surprised at the results. The Full scan will take some time however! Let me know