Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
My Spybot found Babylon whereas Malwarebytes did not.

The thing is PUP are often classified differently by every agency, behaviour dependent. MalwareBytes may not see the behaviour as intrusive (although it IS a toolbar, and ALL toolbars are instrusive). That's not an accurate evaluation of detection rates, as a PUP isn't a virus, and we are talking about AV/malware programs here, not potentially unwanted program detectors.

I agree with Drew here. NEVER use more than one Anti virus at the same time! One thing I like about AVAST is its SANDBOX feature. Anything suspicious or potentially harmful is opened there and cannot infect your machine! Also the ESET online scanner is very good as a once in a month choice!
I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 in conjuction with PC Tools Firewall Plus (free) and WinPatrol (free). Perfect combination and they work well in harmony with each other. Been virus free for ????? years and years. So-much-so that I don't even think about viruses anymore.

The thing is PUP are often classified differently by every agency, behaviour dependent. MalwareBytes may not see the behaviour as intrusive (although it IS a toolbar, and ALL toolbars are instrusive). That's not an accurate evaluation of detection rates, as a PUP isn't a virus, and we are talking about AV/malware programs here, not potentially unwanted program detectors.
Malwarebytes, in the past, has pulled my butt out of a jam on more than one occasion. In fact it was my go-to software. Great software. But running it day-to-day? Their definations are always behind the times. Meaning not much current protection.

Malwarebytes, in the past, has pulled my butt out of a jam on more than one occasion. In fact it was my go-to software. Great software. But running it day-to-day? Their definations are always behind the times. Meaning not much current protection.

Absolutely - that's always my first resort when cleaning up a client's PC that's completely swamped. MBAM does a fair job of removing non-executed threats, however I find that it usually doesn't do a very good job of terminating/removing threats after a restart. That, in combination with SpyBot and an install of MSE usually do a fine job for me.

as a good principle, you of course want to manually update malwarebyte's antimalware just before doing a full scan.

at 59.99 for a year (!) - eset is expensive but works well. i've found that mse does what thier's does for alot less :)

ESET online scanner found infections that both MB and SB did not detect! I recommend it highly!
Wow, I wasn't aware that ESET had a free online scanner. That's great! Their SmartSecurity products are right on par with detection rates. Next time I come across an infection I'll give it a try. :)

Last edited:
Wow, I wasn't aware that ESET had a free online scanner. That's great! Their SmartSecurity products are right on par with detection rates. Next time I come across an infection I'll give it a try. :)
Don't wait; Give it a try and you may be surprised to find out that your machine may be infected already. :)

When comes renewal time, save your money. There is better for FREE.

Cheers,
Drew
I agree. The last product I bought was AVG 7.5 several years ago. ESET SS5 is the only product on the market I'd even consider paying for at this point in time. There's really not much sense in buying AV products.

I agree. The last product I bought was AVG 7.5 several years ago. ESET SS5 is the only product on the market I'd even consider paying for at this point in time. There's really not much sense in buying AV products.
I agree about ESET. The best by far, free AV is AVAST. An excellent feature of AVAST is the sandbox; Where suspect software is run without risking infection. I used to have MS security essentials but its protection factor is a joke to say the least. I got more infections with MSSE than with Norton and that says a lot. Also although MS claims it is very light I had to uninstall it on my PC because it caused unbelievable lag. But if oyu like MSSE then go for it. Each has his own preferences. Also the support forum of AVAST is the best ever. If you have a problem they will help you unlike Microsoft that sells and forgets. I have yet to receive from MS any help through the years. You should also use the free ESET online scanner once a week to make sure your system is clean. Do this and once a month use DRWEB cureit!

Great idea re: weekly scan with ESET online. I've never used avast! extensively so I can't comment on detection rates, but I do like the voice prompts, like "avast virus database has been updated".. Why can't that woman by my housewife !?

Great idea re: weekly scan with ESET online. I've never used avast! extensively so I can't comment on detection rates, but I do like the voice prompts, like "avast virus database has been updated".. Why can't that woman by my housewife !?
The free DR WEB CUREIT found 4 infections that Malwarebytes, Avast, ESET, missed. I highly recommend you use it once a fortnight!

I have used the following for the past three years:
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes used to be good but it has missed many infections! Try the free DR WEB cureit. Download it and run it when it starts to scan stop it and check the FULL SCAN option and run it again. You may be surprised at the results. The Full scan will take some time however! Let me know

Back