Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.6%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
avast, is it ok? and my avast is expired, what should I do?

I used & recommend Avast for many years, years ago. You have to renew your licensing key for Avast every year.

But, if, I reckon you are using Windows 8.1 instead of worrying about your expired Avast, remove it & use Windows Defender, the GOOD security built right into your OS. Once Avast is removed, WD will be on by default. Fully auto, free & no expiring or keys to renew. If your OS is Windows 7 then, drop Avast & get MSE, instead.

Also, recommend installing Malwarebytes & running it periodically. You will find many use these same 2 things.

And, btw, the people advocating MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), that is Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1. Same thing different name.

Look @ the chart. It fully supports what I & others have said.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Last edited:
I run MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), antivirus made by the same company that makes my OS, and it's free, just makes sense. I also run Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (FREE) to augment my protection. (I use the free version because the real-time version conflicts with MSE) I also use WinPatrol, to prevent executables from spawning, it's free version does a great job of managing startup programs and delayed startup programs, a real help.

I have Avast but is seems to me that it doesn't defend that much as periodically I have severe glitches on my computer

went back to using avast on my windows 7 desktops. on my windows 8 desktop I am using the windows defender that came on it and it seems to be ok so far. had some issues with mse on windows 7 so tried some others but like avast on those with windows 7. registering avast every year is no hassle.

passenger what kind of glitches are you having. turn off your antivirus and see if you still have your glitches. that would be one way to eliminate if it is your antivirus software.

poorguy

I have Avast but is seems to me that it doesn't defend that much as periodically I have severe glitches on my computer
If I were you I would first run ccleaner free, then run Malwarebytes to find any culprits that could be causing 'glitches.' I used Avast before, and it could very well be the cause of your 'glitches,' as it caused issues for me, it hung my computer back then, so I removed it.

If I were you I would first run ccleaner free, then run Malwarebytes to find any culprits that could be causing 'glitches.' I used Avast before, and it could very well be the cause of your 'glitches,' as it caused issues for me, it hung my computer back then, so I removed it.

good idea kurteb. I have had others tell me about hang ups when using avast, however I have not had any problems so far but it could very well be a cause.hard to say though.

Avast is ok, I purchased their Internet Security pack, and after a year I prolonged the license with three more years. Very happy with it.

What exactly has expired? If it's the free version, you should get it renewed via update, or uninstalling the present and then installing a newer version. With paid for version, you need to check / renew your license.

Avast is ok, I purchased their Internet Security pack, and after a year I prolonged the license with three more years. Very happy with it.

What exactly has expired? If it's the free version, you should get it renewed via update, or uninstalling the present and then installing a newer version. With paid for version, you need to check / renew your license.

hey pauli, nothing on my avast expires because it is the free version. I just have to update and register it for one more year. however I read a lot of complaints from others that they hate having to register it every year and for them that seems to be a hassle. not a hassle for me because I think it is very good antivirus. I also use several other free antivirus software on my different desktops. a lot of good choices to choose and use.

poorguy

Last edited:
avast, is it ok? and my avast is expired, what should I do?
Newegg. Sign up for email alerts. They have Web-root Security Plus on there or did for 4.99. You will need to download Avast Uninstall Utility. Start in safe mode to uninstall it. Then you will need to restart. Now go through your drive you had Avast installed on, delete on Avast Folders in Programs, Programs 86, program data, Users for all and all separate folders for each user look for Avast. Run CCleaner and any other registry cleaner or junk cleaner you have. Shreds all junk in trash bin. If you have a defrag, run it also while you are at it. Look for a program called System Ninja. Download portable version, run it. Now restart and put your new antivirus or security software on it. Try not to use free unless for a small time. If you use free, use free Malware-bytes and Super-Antispyware also to double check computer. If you have any money at all to spare. Buy a good software. If you need some advice about software. Let me know. I myself am not a fan of Bitdefender, Norton and a few others. Look for a sale on Kaspersky, Eset, or Web-root. Never give more than 30 dollars for a 3 pc for antivirus. There are sales and specials always. Let me know how it goes.

To re-register a free program once a year, is it truly a hassle? I'm somewhat worried about mankind, since everyone seems to think everything is to be free of charge, as a sort of liberty, like vote in public elections. Results demand effort.

@davhag: I find your suggestion quite complicated. No offense.

To re-register a free program oI was saying. ce a year, is it truly a hassle? I'm somewhat worried about mankind, since everyone seems to think everything is to be free of charge, as a sort of liberty, like vote in public elections. Results demand effort.

@davhag: I find your suggestion quite complicated. No offense.
I really don't see what is so hard to understand or complicated about what i saying. But oh well stanks for the liberal government view on things. If you noticed it was adresssed to someobe else. But since you decided to answer, just keep your Avast, I think they were one of the last ones who got hacked. Good luck with your Security and especially your firewall.

My like comes from my like of opinions. Respectfully. I also do like Jack Daniels, heh.
Yeah with a set of legs lije hers, a few bottles of JD, a good 1911 45, is all a person needs for security anyways when the world is going to hell. Rub her legs, drink some JD, and get off as many as you can on the enemy before you die. Because as bad as it's getting. We all going to die.
Keep an eye open for a new leader to take over Germany soon. And hope things goe good for you in the EU.

yup that is a nice pair of legs. i would rather have bacardi 151 and a ruger gp 100,a good 4 cell mag light for night time shooting. just my preference.

poorguy.

I used a lot as AVG and Panda and Norton and Mcaffee and trend and a lot more but been sticking with these a long years ago until today. Avast for making it easier to scan and secure the device,Super Antispyware, Malwarebytes Anti malware,and most of all try to focus on doing search on my laptop every week with Antivirus and do the day or day to day with superantispyware as helps much :).

I use avast! Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium paired together, the best antivirus is the one you setup once and never have to look at again... It does what I want to and blocks pretty much everything (I've never had anything get through believe it or not, even when browsing malicious sites)

Actually a matter of money. I've had a minor cash crisis, I thought I had bought a three year license for Avast, but it turned out to be a two year license and needed renewal. With mouths to feed, and a nanny to pay for since my wife passed away, and everyone (?) of the more experienced support members in this Forum recommending MSE, I decided to switch camp.

I was very pleased with Avast, I can warmly recommend it. My decision was strictly personal.

Last edited:
sometime i use microsoft security essentials .. i use iobit malwarefighter at all of time .. it the best antivirus for me .. :D

Back
Top Bottom