Windows 7 Which Anti-Virus should I use?

Rahul Saini

I have a normal desktop PC with following specifications:
  • Intel Pentium G630 with 2.7GHz speed
  • 6 GB (5.71 GB usable) RAM
I want a lightweight Anti-Virus for my PC and want it to run without any problems.
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Thanks for taking your time to read the post! :)

I'd recommend Webroot Secure Anywhere.
$30 for a single device license or $40 for 3 devices including smartphones and tablets
Virus Protection Software Programs for All of Your Devices | Webroot

Lightest agent tops out at 40MBs under full scans which take a couple minutes (my last full scan was 2m 37s)
Relies on heuristics and cloud analytics (no definitions) It will block known bad code and types of activity such as keylogging. It also journals all activity so if it's 0 day or unknown malware it will analyze it and if it's determined to be malicious it will undo everything done by the malware even deleted files, and files encrypted by ransomware.

I'll second Webroot! I used Kaspersky before which is very good but also has a very heavy footprint on your computer and installed a lot of extra stuff I didn't want.

I've been using it for almost a year now I think? And I've never had problems with an infection getting past it. It's extremely light on resources. I don't even notice when it's scanning. Compared to most AVs slowing your system down when scanning. I can't rave about it enough. Especially if you don't have a beefed up PC or entry-level laptop like I do it's great!

Thanks
I'll second Webroot! I used Kaspersky before which is very good but also has a very heavy footprint on your computer and installed a lot of extra stuff I didn't want.

I've been using it for almost a year now I think? And I've never had problems with an infection getting past it. It's extremely light on resources. I don't even notice when it's scanning. Compared to most AVs slowing your system down when scanning. I can't rave about it enough. Especially if you don't have a beefed up PC or entry-level laptop like I do it's great!
Thanks for the suggestion! I also used Kaspersky before and it is really lightweight.

" Avg antivirus is best from others... "

avg is just okay … it's got a nice "shred-file" feature which is included with their free version.

the one thing that alarmed me, and which proved disconcerting/debilitating for myself, was that … while avg was simply downloading it's engine-core update … the a/v disabled all of it's core elements. so, imagine this scenario … you are surfing the 'net … all of a sudden, you get body-slammed with ransomware … your device becomes crippled … all because, for that 2-7 minute duration/interim … you simply opened/viewed some nefarious website … and your defenses were down! no … avg did not warn about the impending engine-core update. no … windows-defender did not kick in for that short interval. no … it's not me just being paranoid (well, i am paranoid, but …).

avg had another slight issue that i knew of … was regarding yahoo email file attachments. feel free to conduct a search here on windowsforum.com … am sure i created thread for that specific indicator.

note: this reply was not about d/l reference files … t'was about d/l the avg engine-core update(s).

I don't like AVG because it just completely embeds itself all over your system. Back when I used it, 2010ish, it was just a hog in resources. And when I didn' renew they convinced me into remote accessing my system and saying it had malware on it and this was right after a fresh install of Windows, SMH. And then they kept charging me for an annual subscription after I canceled it through their website.

I know it's very popular because it's free and probably looks good. But I never recommend them anymore. I'd rather someone go with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes free and some free browser extensions than installing AVG.

You should experiment to make your own assessment: Avira Antivirut, AVG, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Norton, Bkav, Avast.
I think the way you use it is important, even if the anti-virus software is installed does not guarantee 100% that you will always be safe and not annoying.

So far, I've had no problems using Windows Defender and occasionally scanning with Malwarebytes (free version). But then, I'm also careful about what I click on. I use the same 2 setups on both of my laptops. Also running Nord VPN on both.

Back
Top Bottom