Windows 7 Who is the OWNER/CREATOR of files?

cescolar

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits.

I have all my photos in an external drive that I created in a Vista pc. I plugged it in my new Windows 7 pc and changed the ownership of all the files to me, since I knew otherwise I would have permission issues.

But that did not help!

Now in Picasa I can add any new photos, but when I try to edit old ones, I get a permissions error!
I have figured out how to bypass this: I change the permissions for all users to read/write for the "originals" directory and the files that I want to editt, and then it works...but this is REALLY PAINFUL!

It seems like a Windows 7 bug to me: since I should be now the CREATOR/OWNER of all those files, and they have "special" privileges, it should work...

Which brings me to another, IMHO, bug with Vista/Windows 7: why it does not tell you in the Properties of a file who the CREATOR/OWNER is? I have not been able to figure out who the CREATOR/OWNER of those files is (i.e. if the problem is that the command to change ownership failed and did not tell me...

C'mon, Microsoft, it should not be that hard to find out who the CREATOR/OWNER of a file is!

Why did you have to come up with such a complicated ownership scheme, when the one for UNIX works so well! :mad:

I plugged it in my new Windows 7 pc and changed the ownership of all the files to me, since I knew otherwise I would have permission issues.
How did you "know otherwise"?

Are you the same user in Windows 7 as Vista? I have been able to move all of my files with no problems.

When I tried to use my photo files in the external drive from XP to Vista I had a permission problem, which I fixed by taking ownership of the external drive files. So I changed the owner again when before using the drive in W7.
I use the same name in both PCs, but it knows that it is not the "same" user because it prefixes the user with the name of the machine. I wish it would realize that I am the same user...they made it much too complicated!:frown:

I do not have an answer to your question, but going from XP to Vista is different from going from Vista to Win 7

Rt click the Folder Properties>Security>Advanced>Owner Tab.

Great! Now I can tell that I am the owner of both files (the one I want to change and the originals directory)

Now this gets stranger: the permissions seem to be the same in the new directories that I just created in W7 and the ones that I had created in Vista - the owner has special, and all users have only read. But Picasa gives me an error when I try to edit and save the old ones...It must be a Picasa problem...

I told Picasa not to look at the picture directory and then to find the pictures again (in case it remembered who the owner used to be) but it made no difference...

I am really baffled!:(

Back