Windows 8.1 Why hasn't or isn't Microsoft building an OS exclusively for PC gaming?

Lucas Danielson

Why hasn't or isn't Microsoft building an operating system (OS) exclusively for desktop PC gaming? Something similar to Xbox OS optimized for desktop, mouse and keyboard.

With Xbox OS already existing and running on very similar hardware to desktop PC, why isn't there a version for desktop PC that doesn't have all the unnecessary tasks, services, bloat Windows has that are of absolute no use to gamers and only enslave computing resources that could be put to much better use.

The reason people play games on PC is vast, but some are the ability to run applications at 1080p or higher at or above 60fps, achieve the top graphical fidelity these applications have to offer, the ability to upgrade their hardware, run modified versions of these applications/games, use many different peripherals. To name a few.

There are so many unnecessarily things using computing resources on Windows OS that gamers will never use. With over 44 million people using the 'Steam' platform to game, and their OS release around the corner (preview is already released), I see this really eating into the Windows market share. But there is a one thing Microsoft has that no one else does, and that's DirectX. OpenGL is advancing to an equal standpoint though. If Microsoft doesn't cater to these people they will lose them to someone who will.

You could argue of all the people who game on PC, 50-60% use the Steam platform. Possibly 10-20% will jump ship at the official release of the Steam OS, or duel boot depending on each persons requirements and the Steam OS restrictions. That is up to 8,800,000 customers Microsoft just lost. After one year that may have grown up to 50% of Steam platform users, increasing Microsoft's customer loss to 22,000,000 users, and them numbers are going to continue to rise. Note I'm only running figures of current registered unique users on the Steam platform, there are millions of users not using it.

Microsoft had 'Games for Windows Live' why couldnt this

Not only will Microsoft lose them customers, it looses them customer's support for DirectX. While a Linux based OS using OpenGL gains them.

Microsoft, is it possible you will cater specifically to desktop PC gamers who want to use all their computing resources specifically on running video games, and nothing more. Will you push for the continued support of DirectX? DirectX is very well supported by game studios. As of the last few years these studios are supporting other APIs also, such as OpenGL and AMD's Mantle. The monopoly on the Graphical API is over.

Last edited:
That would be completely counterstrategic. They are going the opposite way trying to have one OS for all devices from the desktop to the phone.

Multiple OS are extremely expensive in development and maintenance. It is like having different engines and transmissions for every model car that GM produces. That is not a win, win scheme.

One could say, one can't win it all. In fact, diversity is the victory for all. And more, the want of and acceptance of diversity.

We even need people who don't understand that I'm right! :eek: ... that sure is horrifying...

The only remaining diversity is in Linux. But there it is also a problem. Too many distros confuse the potential user. I have needed 3 years to find the distro that suits me best - Mint Mate. But I know that other people prefer other distros. I am sure that they did not find their's on day 1 either. But fortunately experimenting with Linux distros is free of charge.

3 years is a long time to invest in Mint (or any os) and most gamers just don't care about their os--- if it plays the game they want to play.

Microsoft does have a game unit that they sort of tripped over by accident while purchasing software companies. Modern Windows owes a lot to gaming (mostly to do with graptics but also networks in the last 5 years) and Microsoft has slowly taken that on board.

I never play games. I just want a nice OS that has plenty of function and a pleasant user interface.

And yes, 3 years was a long time, But I went thru a dozen distros and kept each one for a while to make sure I understood it.

I don’t mind mint as a system but I also think it proves the point--- mint was designed to make Ubuntu into something usable by Muppets but they couldn’t agree on what it should look like so they had to split it into two different versions in order to try and appease everyone.

To be clear mint is a good system but it isn’t for everyone and game developers don’t take Linux into account because there is no standard set of rules for every copy of it--- Windows doesn’t dominate the market by trying to cater too games but it does allow a developer to know what code will work for a majority of gamers and that (alone) is why Windows doesn’t need or want to make a distinct system just for games.

They made Xbox specifically for gaming, LOL

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

PS: Sorry, but, I just couldn't resist

Good point. One can't get a Ferrari and a heavy duty Truck - they come separately.

Couldn't resist, either. :redface: Hope we're not getting nasty...

Last edited:
I have a serious gamer friend who upgraded from 7 to 8.1 and is thrilled @ how terrific his gaming experience is, now, compared to previously. Go figure, eh?

Probably because Microsoft does not want to encourage people to be on couch all day long pounding those controllers. We need productivity software to keep the economy going. :)

Playstations and Xboxes should be more than enough for gaming purposes.

I have a PS3 and a PS4. And I only play 1 game. The COD series

wp_ss_20141015_0001.png

Last edited:
There is honestly no point in making a windows OS dedicated to gaming that's what the Xbox is for.....and besides Windows already has the majority of the gaming market why build another system for gaming? when the games are already on Windows. But yeah like whs said
That would be completely counterstrategic. They are going the opposite way trying to have one OS for all devices from the desktop to the phone.
Multiple OS are extremely expensive in development and maintenance. It is like having different engines and transmissions for every model car that GM produces. That is not a win, win scheme.
It's a no win scheme, but that's what it would be a scheme nothing more.

It's really most likely, that they want us all to buy/use Xbox One's. Look back at the poor job they did with Games For Windows Live. That was probably on purpose for the Xbox, too.Just like when are they planning on updating Windows Media Player from 2009's 12 (Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10) to 13 ????? When are they going to upgrade Windows Media Center, so it works with the new anolog to digital cable boxes ????

I can see the point about the Windows Media Center, it was a great application and should be taken care of for the future. Though with the existence of WMC, VLC, DivX, etc the need for WMP is little to none. It is great for music collections and maybe a little pictures slide show, but honestly with the other options out that are better choices the amount of people using it for video will be very esoteric. Then you also have the mandatory removal of WMP from Winodws by The European Union and Korea it is along the same lines of having to make modified disks for so much of the world. I could see Microsoft making a gaming only PC OS, and is a good possibility, do a modified XX dashboard to run on a PC and accept drivers. If you will recall the XoneX dashboard is running parts of Windows already. The triple platform as it was called, game, Windows and dashboard.

Well, they need to update WMP & WMC. If they don't,, they need to at least add the features from each into revamped versions of Music and Videos. Namely for Music, the equalizer and other sound enhancements that WMP has. For Videos, they need to add tv recording functions, that recognize tv tuners and the various current/future cable boxes. Personally, if they don't do either, I'll stick with Windows 8.1. Stardock's Start8, Decor8 and ModernMix all add what I'd be missing in 10.

That is one of those things that I don't see Microsoft doing for the simple fact that they are getting spanked like a red headed step child in this area.

Video LAN Client

I mean seriously, look at it. Can handle umpteen jillion codex, supports even more multiple audio and subs than most know exist, manipulates aspect ratios, changes video and audio sync speed, easy to use non-intrusive browser extensions, pushes out to other clients, uses pretty much all the equipment that you need it to and has for years...and this is only the client side. It is AMAZING. I am all for choice, but when there is a solid winner hands down, I have to admit it, and this is one of those times. WMP and WMC doesn't and most likely never will have the video play back to beat VLC out.

I'll give it a look. What I really need/want is something that can record tv. WMC does it. The software that Hauppage put's out for their tv tuners can watch tv and get a tv guide. It has no ability to record the shows. That's the ability I need. That's the main complaint I have had with Microsoft. It's fine if they want to go modernized. I have no issue with that. The issue I have, is they're taking away feature's. Making the new stuff downgrades, not upgrades with better capabilities. I may even send a email to CyberLink, as I've been using there Media Suite Ultimate for a few years since I got my blu-ray burner. The only thing there suite doesn't have is tv capabilities. Otherwise, it has anything imaginable for multimedia, including prictures. I'm going to really be using there MediaEspresso video convertor in December for converting my blu-rays, dvd's and videos, when I upgrade my Lumia 521 to a Lumia 1320 as I'm putting a 128GB. microSDHC in it. My 521 only has a 64GB. microsSDHC in it.

I'll give it a look. What I really need/want is something that can record tv. WMC does it. The software that Hauppage put's out for their tv tuners can watch tv and get a tv guide. It has no ability to record the shows. That's the ability I need. That's the main complaint I have had with Microsoft. It's fine if they want to go modernized. I have no issue with that. The issue I have, is they're taking away feature's. Making the new stuff downgrades, not upgrades with better capabilities. I may even send a email to CyberLink, as I've been using there Media Suite Ultimate for a few years since I got my blu-ray burner. The only thing there suite doesn't have is tv capabilities. Otherwise, it has anything imaginable for multimedia, including prictures. I'm going to really be using there MediaEspresso video convertor in December for converting my blu-rays, dvd's and videos, when I upgrade my Lumia 521 to a Lumia 1320 as I'm putting a 128GB. microSDHC in it. My 521 only has a 64GB. microsSDHC in it.

You should check out media portal, which will record and play all of the media types.

Back