Windows 10 Why I Won't Upgrade To Windows 10 Just Yet.

So you took something that says
You might not be able to install Linux on a PC which comes preloaded with Windows 10
And decided to tell everyone who read your post that
you won't be able to disable secure boot
AND
you won't be able to do a clean install of Windows because of the secure boot settings

Microsoft announced that PCs with Windows 10 and UEFI must ship with Secure Boot enabled by default.
That snippet alone would, to any logical thinker, suggest that you could disable it.

So you took something that says

And decided to tell everyone who read your post that

AND

That snippet alone would, to any logical thinker, suggest that you could disable it.
Well that post did not say you won't be able to disable Secure Boot. It said you might not be able to. But posts on the web said that with Windows 8 but it never happen. You can disable Secure Boot on Windows 8 so I hope it's the same with Windows 10. Most people want to either do a clean install of Windows to get rid of the bloatware from the PC maker. Also you might want to install Windows 7 or another OS. So for that you would have to disable Secure Boot otherwise the OS won't load.

I haven't followed the entire thread, but most systems which shipped with Windows 8 had Secure Boot enabled....

All bioses I have see allow the user to disable secure boot. But these things are at the discretion of whoever is in control of what bios options you are allowed to access....

The reason I would go to a new OS, first of all, would not be based on whether it was free or not. I look at the UI to see if it behaves the way I like and the OS has new capabilities which make it more usable. I rejected Windows 8 except for test machines. Windows 10, just because of the Start button, will be more user friendly than Windows 8. This decision must be left to the individual, and after making themselves aware of all the pros and cons, will make a decision best for them.

The unknown is in the bowels of the OS which would be enhancements most users would never actually see. Hard to make a decision based on something you cannot see.

Also you might want to install Windows 7 or another OS. So for that you would have to disable Secure Boot otherwise the OS won't load.
You need to stop making declarative statements that are untrue.
Windows 7 64bit will install on UEFI / Secure Boot systems and I'm almost positive that the latest version (64bit) of Ubuntu (and maybe other Linux Distros) will as well.
Note: One of the common issues we see is that users try to install X86 version with UEFI enabled in the bios. X86 does not support UEFI
SOURCE: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...talling-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx

If there are going to be systems that don't allow Secure Boot to be turned off, it will be a good Idea to determine that before you buy a new computer.

If it effects people's choice as to brand then likely no one will ship them that way.

I have heard of (but never actually seen) machines that don't allow Secure Boot to be turned off.

Yes but mostly atm or other retail type machines... on private laptops its just to stop people buggering their system by mistake.

Imo (I assume) the 1st guy was mis-quoted and prob said Windows 7 installs won't be supported on new laptops made to take Windows 10 because the bios settings can only be backwards compatable so-far.

to be clear: Secure Boot is a bios option of the motherboard maker and has nothing to do with Windows 7, 8 or 10 being installed.

Back