Windows 7 Why you should say no to Windows 8 and stick with Windows 7.

Well I have got Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops and they are both very secure. And on my Windows XP laptops I do not have any anti virus software.

And never mind the stories you hear on the web about Windows XP not being secure. It is secure. And I have never had a computer virus on my Windows XP.

And I do not have any anti virus software on my Windows 7. And I have never had a computer virus on my Windows 7 computers either.

There are no viruses on Windows. Andrea Borman.
The only thing that I can say, is that if you've used Windows for a few years (especially with XP) and you've not been infected in some way, you're pretty damn lucky.

If you were to take those computers and run the free ESET Online Scanner, or SuperAntiSpyware, there's no telling how much bad code stored on them. Tracking Cookies, Trojans, Spyware, you name it.

I've read several of your posts regarding running virus protection, and I know I'm wasting my keystrokes, but I seriously hope that you don't do any banking or purchasing with your computers. Because you're one keystroke away from being cleaned out. I would not as much as check my email w/o some form of installed & updated virus protection, paid or free.

The last sentence of your post really stands out "There are no viruses on Windows." That should be true out of the box, but over time, and it takes a split second to happen, you can lose total control over your computer. Malware is a serious threat to all computer users, including Mac & Linux ones. So is spyware, viruses & trojans.

I know of a couple of people who refuses to run an AV because they say they lose speed, both at startup & while browsing. While that may be true (the AV has to update at startup to protect you, as well as check links & emails), I'm not going to worry over a few seconds for my protection to update, and I'm going to keep protection on my computers.

I highly advise you to do the same. Avast & MSE are both free, and Malwarebytes (free version) only consumes resources when you run it. Just because you think your computer isn't infected, doesn't mean it's not. Malware/Spyware has ways of hiding itself until it decides to unload. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cat

Good on you for trying, Cat. You are spot-on.

Also, you are right... the phrase, "no viruses on Windows", does not work or make sense. True, there are no virii on an OS... they are on the Net. Also, true is, IF UNPROTECTED, they will go from the Net to the OS... and be there, whether one 'thinks' they are or not.

The very biggest impossibility, oxymoron & contridiction over any other, past, present or future, ever on the planet, is,
"I do not have any anti virus software. I have got Windows 7 and Windows XP laptops and they are both very secure."

Cheers,
Drew

Right on. There is not such thing as a completely secure Windows. Some people will call that me bashing Microsoft/Windows, but it is not. I just understand that there are vonerable spots in Windows and need to protect myself and the people I help.

All Windows users should be very worried about what is going to happen to them if Windows 8 ever goes out on sale to the public. As most Windows users are just average home computer users and some others like me have limited experienced with computers. And can only just about manage to use a computer anyway.

And most people are using Windows and only know Windows and don't know how to use anything else.So all Windows users including myself are not going to be able to use Windows 8 if it comes out.

As Windows 8 is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. And even experienced computer geeks cannot use it or figure out how to use it. And if Windows 8 comes out they may stop selling Windows 7 like they did with Windows XP and Windows Vista. And then we will be forced to buy Windows 8. And we will be stuck with it.

And because most of us cannot use Linux or Mac at least I cannot.We may have to give up using a computer.If the only Windows operating system there is is Windows 8 and they stop selling Windows 7.

So my friends suggest we write a letter to our President or Prime Minister on these lines-

If enough people protested to their governments about Windows 8,then Windows 8 will be banned from the market and we will all be safe with Windows 7.

And we might even get Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 2000,98 and 95 back on the market again. Which are all NORMAL Windows operating systems. Not this Windows 8. Windows 8 is THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.
Are you serious? I can understand why you like Windows 7, it's a fantastic OS.

But when you were running XP, did you feel the same way with Windows 7 Beta was emerging? The reason that I ask this, is because there are those, and plentiful, who are "afraid of change". There are those who will run XP until either the wheels fall off, or until those users can no longer obtain a computer that can run XP, for this very reason. Many of them feels the same way towards Windows 7 as you do towards Windows 8. And that's OK, as we are free (in most countries) to run what we want.

However, reverting back to OS's that wasn't released in this century (Win 95 & 98) is impractical for daily use. I feel that Windows 8 will improve, give us the choices as to what our desktop looks like, and will run many programs that we currently use. I had it installed, and many of the softwares that we use today works fine. I'm not crazy about the Start Menu not popping up by a click, but you can pin the Control Panel to the taskbar, just as we can with Windows 7, to access settings.

Windows 8 is in it's infancy. It's way too early to judge the OS when we haven't as much as seen the Beta yet. And as far as buying it goes, I doubt that I will, because Windows 7 has all that I need.

But to go out on a limb and create a petition, attempting to gain government intervention to block sales of the OS & the computers it's installed on, is going a bit too far. If you don't want to run Windows 8, then simply don't run it. No one is twisting your arm to do so.

This is the very same deal that we endure every 3 years or so, is those who wishes to stay in the past, and those stating that the latest Windows is incompatible with their computers (that's somewhat true, Win 7 won't run well on those that were built to run XP w/o modifications). But it's mainly those who are in a comfort zone who stays put. These users don't want to relearn.

One thing that you won't have to worry about is Windows 7 going away. More than likely, Windows 7 will be the next XP, when the support is nearing the end, users will hang on as long as possible. That's because Windows 7 is that good. Don't worry about Windows 8, 7 is going nowhere for years to come.

Just don't break your "F11" button, and you'll be fine.

Cat

Cat, no offence but, we've said it all before, already... sadly, to no avail. You're welcome to share our pain, our frustration, laughter, shake your head & roll your eyes, be shocked, stunned & confused... and be very tempted to say something even, if & when, not quite sure what, where to begin or what to include and wonder what it's worth.

& yes, the 'old dogs, new tricks' thing, is, all too often, a human nature thing rearing it's ugly head of impedement & lack of open-mindedness. I've certainly seen a lot of it in clients, in forums, blogs & elsewhere.

Cheers,
Drew

Well catilley1092,I only bought my first home computer a Windows 7 netbook in April 2010. Before that I was using Internet cafes. Then last year I bought the very last 2 brand new Windows XP netbooks in the store. And I cannot praise Windows XP enough. And I posted my own thread about it here on this site-here-http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/67198-using-windows-xp-now-2011-windows-7-user.html

In fact, anyone would think that Windows XP was a brand new operating system only brought out 2 months ago,not 10 years ago. And it has a lot more software on it than Windows 7. Although you can add most Windows XP and Windows Vista software to Windows 7.

And Windows 7 is a lot like Windows XP and looks like it too. If you set the theme to Windows Classic which turns off Aero theme.

Windows Vista I am not sure about, as I only tried it on a second hand laptop that was faulty. So for now I will give it the benefit of the doubt.

But Windows 8 I do not want that. With it's no start menu and Metro theme. Windows 8 is not the real Windows, it's the fake version of Windows.

This is very true. I have been fighiting that uphill battle for a little while as well. It....is....intersting.

See what we mean. We have proven that there is a start menu and there is a desktop. She just refuses to accept the truth of what we are saying. I would say she thinks we are all trying to trick her or somethig.

This is very true. I have been fighiting that uphill battle for a little while as well. It....is....intersting.

See what we mean. We have proven that there is a start menu and there is a desktop. She just refuses to accept the truth of what we are saying. I would say she thinks we are all trying to trick her or somethig.

Well you have only got to look at Windows 8 to see it's got no start menu and a tiled theme,the Metro theme,instead of a normal desktop. And Windows 8 is so ugly I cannot bear to look at it without feeling ill.

Well the tiled area is not the desktop, it is the start menu. Not many people show the desktop, but it is there. It is the Developer preview, so the theme isn ot finished. It is a pre-beta release. It is not a finished product. The idea is to make software for it and to see if the ideas implamented in it will work, not to look nice.

Well the tiled area is not the desktop, it is the start menu. Not many people show the desktop, but it is there. It is the Developer preview, so the theme isn ot finished. It is a pre-beta release. It is not a finished product. The idea is to make software for it and to see if the ideas implamented in it will work, not to look nice.

But in the You Tube videos I saw,every time you click on the start menu, you get the Metro tiles. You don't get taken straight onto Firefox or Google Chrome like on Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Ummm, you don't get taken strait to any application by clicking the start button, no matter what Windows you run. Yes the tiles are the new start menu. I am glad to hear that you are finaly seeing that. Though there is a way to disable the Metro and the new start menu, just got to edit the registry. Also there are plenty of applications that will do it as well.

Ummm, you don't get taken strait to any application by clicking the start button, no matter what Windows you run. Yes the tiles are the new start menu. I am glad to hear that you are finaly seeing that. Though there is a way to disable the Metro and the new start menu, just got to edit the registry. Also there are plenty of applications that will do it as well.

Yes,but I cannot use Windows 8 like that. With the Metro theme. So if I had Windows 8,I would have a problem using it like that. And also the fact that you click the start menu. And instead of being taken to the program or Control Panel,you get the Metro tiles. It would drive me out of my mind.

It has issues, that is true. But it will get better over time...I hope. With Microsoft, you never know LMAO Just have to be open minded about it, it is a good idea, and could be used to do great things. I like the way the Metro apps work. When I first looked at it, I thought it would be really annoying, though it really wasn't as bad as I thought. There are a few things I would like to see added in the beta. The ability to manualy add icons is the most important. Then maybe a really customizable orginization ability.

Yes,but I cannot use Windows 8 like that. With the Metro theme. So if I had Windows 8,I would have a problem using it like that. And also the fact that you click the start menu. And instead of being taken to the program or Control Panel,you get the Metro tiles. It would drive me out of my mind.

So Just disable metro and use a start menu. Then it behaves just like windows 7. Or for my sanity stick with windows 7 and stop worrying about something you've never used.

& to think you scolded me for caring about people's sanity ;) (teehee) Well, maybe, just for the wording not, the principle, eh? You guys sure repeat things a lot... is it doing any good? :rolleyes:

D

It could indicate we are insane. If a subject repeats the same action and expects a differnt reaction. That is insanity. Though sanity, from what I have seen, is not a reaquirement to work here. LMAO

Naiya,

The reference is or was just to something specific here lately that is a bit of an endurance test for the rest of us. & now you & Cat are so kindly trying to respond to this same thing... all the more power to you. Have fun w/ it but, don't hurt your head on that wall.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom