Windows 8 Wifi Limited Connectivity

Mahaboob Ahmed

Hi,

My new Dell laptop shows limited connectivity every day. I have checked solutions from internet and the only one worked so far was restarting the router . But I hate to do this everyday and it is annoying because this should get connected automatically without any issues.

Below are things which i have tried but failed
1. Diagnose connectivity issues
2. Setting metered connection on
3. Checking IPV4 and IPV6 obtain address automatically option in wireless network properties
4.Using nestsh reset command

Below are the ifconfig details. Can anyone suggest a solution ?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : localdomain

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E4-F8-9C-4E-7E-34
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-47-47-A9-CE-67

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E4-F8-9C-4E-7E-33
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9947:5b40:2f69:b792%3(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:18:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 22, 2015 9:23:05 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 65337500
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-29-06-E9-20-47-47-A9-CE-67

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.localdomain:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : localdomain
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Why the localdomain suffix... is that asked for by your ip provider?
The big issue is the lack of any DNS address... this is normaly set at the router & why is your connection metered... is that because you only have a limited amount of useage per week or just trying new settings?

The DNS address should be set to the address of your router (and it appears to be so). This will have been set by DHCP. Try going into your wireless adapter setting and setting the default gateway and the DNS server address manually. This should not normally be necessary but it may over-ride any problem which may have been created by your experimenting with settings. You may find it necessary to reset your router to eliminate any such problems.

In the properties for your wireless adapter - Control panel, network and sharing, change adapter settings, wifi, properties, TCP/IPv4, properties, "Ue the following DNS server address and set it to 192.168.1.1

The issue does appear to be more at the router {make and model number please?} have you just updated its firmware perhaps or did this router come from a different location?

It would also help to know the general area you are in as DNS numbers like 8.8.8.8 are US bassed but 61.9.194.49 is Sydney
If its still giving you issues please also post a full ipconfig report as your first one is only the basic info... at the command promt type "ipconfig /all" (no quotes).

Hello, i have an hp laptop windows 8 and while i was deleting virtualbox files in regedit i dont know what happened but afterwards my wifi and ethernet is limited. In the network and sharing center it is showing no network available. I troubleshooted and it is saying windows cant automatically bind ip protocol. What should i do? Plz help me out.

I wonder If I reinstall my Windows, will my Drive C and Drive D they're deleting an removing my all file??? Please reply me fast WIndow !!!

will my Drive C and Drive D they're deleting an removing my all file???
reinstalling windows happens on the C drive and as long as you don't format the D then any files stored there will remain.

However if these D drive files have any encription like say MYOB (mind your own business) files then thats a problem.

Some additional test you may try:
1. Make sure you have only one network of the networks in reach to which you connect automatically; hopping from one to the other network also may cause this.
2. Go to the device manager, remove the wireless adapter and add it again to your system; this will reset all settings of the adapter.
3. Are you the only user of that network or is it overloaded? Try monitoring the local networks with a program like inSSIDer, is the network you are connecting to overlapping with others? Than changing the channels of the wireless connectpoint may help

Just some thoughts, hope they help

Last edited:
Try resetting your router with factory reset. Then uninstall/reinstall your wireless adapter from device manager. Power back on your router and try to reconnect through your dell to Internet. Is should be working. If that fails, suggest you rollback your system to a point in time prior to the intermittent wifi connection problem happening. Use built-in System Restore utility in Win8 to do this.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back
Top Bottom