Windows 7 Wifi problem - No connections available

smaddox

1st post...I have a dell lap top and a desk top at home I use for work. I have a linksys wireless router I always use for my laptop. All of sudden today i cannot connect to the internet. I have a red X over the wifi icon. it says "not connected - No connections available". i have done all i know to do and sat on hold with dell tech support for over an hour. I always pick up 4 -8 other networks around me too, which is weird that it says none are available. I am on my desktop now, and internet is working fine. reset the router and restarted several times.

I believe the wifi connection is enabled. If you don't mind, anyone that helps me, please me very specific when telling me to do something, i would GREATLY appreciate that as well.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums, smaddox.

Most likely you need to properly set up your Wi Fi router, as shown in this article.

Check your connection properties, it should be configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

1st post...I have a dell lap top and a desk top at home I use for work. I have a linksys wireless router I always use for my laptop. All of sudden today i cannot connect to the internet. I have a red X over the wifi icon. it says "not connected - No connections available". i have done all i know to do and sat on hold with dell tech support for over an hour. I always pick up 4 -8 other networks around me too, which is weird that it says none are available. I am on my desktop now, and internet is working fine. reset the router and restarted several times.

I believe the wifi connection is enabled. If you don't mind, anyone that helps me, please me very specific when telling me to do something, i would GREATLY appreciate that as well.

Thanks

at this point in time it's unlikely your router is the cause as you state you " always pick up 4 -8 other networks around me too" ..........

can you try connecting your laptop using the rj45 cable that is connected to your desktop and see what happens ?

also go into your device manager and check to make sure your wireless adapter is installed with no warning messages against it ?

when you attempt to connect and search for available networks is this with the dell connection wizard or with windows wireless zero config ?

can you tell us what antivirus and firewall your using on the laptop ?

Thanks
I know it sounds very basic, but I just recently went through this with my daughter and it seems that Dell support would have been able to get you at least this far, but in her case she had the same problem, all potential networks had gone and when she would rescan no available networks would appear. It seems that here daughter had turned off the radio. So check an make sure the wireless adapter is physically turned on, it's ususally a hot key or key combo or a special dedicated button. Another question would be, since this seems to have just ocurred, have you recently choosen to update an optional driver update from windows update. If so perhaps rolling back the driver might help.

thanks everyone! I feel like an idiot, but my wife's new laptop has a button on the side of it that literally turns wifi off!! it was something that simple! Not sure why dell put the button on the side of the laptop, but that was the problem...thanks for everyone's feedback!

thanks everyone! I feel like an idiot, but my wife's new laptop has a button on the side of it that literally turns wifi off!! it was something that simple! Not sure why dell put the button on the side of the laptop, but that was the problem...thanks for everyone's feedback!
You would be suprised how often, folks are unaware of the dedicated button, any way very glad you resolved the problem and thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Last edited:
Back